Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2015, 12:04 PM   #1

Hello folks

My name is Christian, born in Romania, I've lived 5 years in the UK and I moved to Germany 2 and a half years ago. *Does this guy know what he wants?* - That's what I also do ask myself sometimes! I'm a simple guy but life is complicated!

To make the story short I 1st took a camera in my hands somewhere back in 2001 - It was just a simple digital camera and started messing around with it. I loved the macro mode and taking landscape shots.
Than all of the sudden I started to edit pictures and got more and more captivated about photography.
Than I received as a birthday gift an Nikon Coolpix P520 - it was an amazing camera for me!
Started to learn the basics (ISO/Aperture/focal lenght) until I got confident and switched from Shutter/Aperture priority mode into full manual.
Than on a very disappointing day of my life - had nothing to do with photography - I bought myself an Canon EOS 450D. It made me feel MUCH more better owning my 1st DSLR.
Bought battery grip, a new flash - YONGNUO 560 Mark III, started to learn about flash photography, got myself my 1st 50mm 1.4, a Sigma 28-104 2.8-4, and started to be more and more addicted to photography.

I started a small collection of old cameras (21 pieces now and cownting), from Polaroid and Kodak to PORST/Nikon/Canon/Pentax/Leica.

As you can see I made all the "steps" an beginner does - read an article about this a few months ago! SO EPIC

NOW .... for more than 1 year I'm searching for my upgrade.
And I think ... I'll be getting the Pentax 5-K IIs.

Why?

Well, my girlfriend's dad owns "some" Canon cameras - I played with all of them, from EOS 1 up to 6D. 4 L lenses and some other 2.8 brands.
I DONT like Canon! I don't know why?!?! Maybe because Nikon was the camera that I learned with? Maybe I don't like the word CANON?
It feels weird having a Canon in my hand! Maybe because canon in romanian means "a rule", and I don't like rules at all!

I don't want an Nikon as well because I don't like NIKON PEOPLE! Weird? NOT for me lol. Facebook and all the groups and communities I am in ... they're just, dunno... not my cup of tea!

I read and I'm still reading a lot about Pentax. Atm, I think Pentax offers the best stuff for your bucks - but not quite sure on the lenses.
I do love to photograph, especially people.
Photography is and will be a hobby for me - I do not intend to switch jobs or to earn money from it, even tho I've won some small competitions/contests/challenges over the web.

Now, I do ask you guys WHY would you recommend Pentax and what brand/kind of lenses you do recommend?
I'm not quite sure what should I get ... the Pentax's mount system is like an enigma for me.
PK/ K/ KAF / KAF2 ... I read a lot that some lenses do work with for example k-50 but they don't work with k-5 or they have some AF problems...
I try to crop as little as I can (only if my I plan my shot for a postprocess)so the 100% viewfinder from Pentax is awesome.
I did wanted to go out on rainy days or when it was snowing, but I couldn't!!!

As a reference this kind of pictures I love taking :

And this is the reason I moved to Germany

I do hope I came on the right place.

Waiting for your kind reply,

Christian

01-28-2015, 01:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! What a beautiful set of photos to introduce yourself!

All K mount lenses will work on the K-5. Manual Focus lenses will need to be manually focused and lenses prior to the A models will need you to manually set the f-stop on the lens itself. The beauty is that ALL K-mount lenses will work on the newest Pentax K-mount cameras (K-3, K-5 series, K-30, K-50, etc.).

Here is a link to an K-mount article for you to start:
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Here is another:
The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
01-28-2015, 01:33 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, you've certainly moved for the right reasons and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
01-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you Docrwm, and
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Here is a link to an K-mount article for you to start:
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
... oh WOW!
I do need to take a pen and my notebook, I don't know why but I do learn faster if I have everything hand written.

Kerrowdown
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, you've certainly moved for the right reasons and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Respect!

Many thanks!

01-28-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from Chicago!

Why did I choose Pentax? There are a few threads here with this question/answer. Often you'll find the same answers.

I chose it because I grew up with manual cameras, my Dad's Minolta and then my girlfriend's Minolta (now wife). Pentax really is set up for a technical shooter, you can easily operate the top-level cameras fully manually all by feel, just like an old manual SLR. Add the in-body shake reduction and those manual lenses are even better. Full metal bodies with weatherseals is another big plus. Pentax also appeals to those of us who tend to not be impressed by big advertising campaigns. The pancakes are another huge draw for me, I only have the 21mm but it's brilliant.

Pentax also limits its models available, they don't continue to sell outdated technology forever (unlike the big two).

What do you lose? Right now, long lenses. That's a little better with the new teleconverter. Don't kid yourself that you'll get quality long telephotos from anyone on the cheap, though. Be prepared to spend serious money for serious modern lenses.
01-28-2015, 02:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 4lights Quote
Thank you Docrwm, and ... oh WOW!
I do need to take a pen and my notebook, I don't know why but I do learn faster if I have everything hand written.

Kerrowdown Respect!

Many thanks!
You're welcome.
01-29-2015, 12:02 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks TER-OR
On the telephoto side I think an Tamron 2.8 70-200mm (on a 1,5 crop factor) will do the job for me.

I was just browsing the forum and I saw the US prices for Pentax gear ... thats just wow! In Germany everything costs double or even more :/

I really can't wait to test the new (for me)dynamic range, AF system and the ISO that Pentax has to offer!

My new 5k2s should be here by Saturday ... but, and here comes the big but, I don't have any lens for it!

I want a 50mm 1st ... should I buy a Sigma 50 mm 1.4 DG HSM EX brand new or a SH SMC DA* 55 mm 1,4 SDM ?

Once again thank you for your time.
01-29-2015, 01:24 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Welcome! Great pictures! I personally am sold on Pentax based on the "bang for the buck". I think unless you are a pro, you don't need the equipment the bigger brands have and (like you) I don't get into the brand fan thing and just want equipment that does what I want.

01-30-2015, 06:33 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 4lights Quote
Thanks TER-OR

My new 5k2s should be here by Saturday ... but, and here comes the big but, I don't have any lens for it!
Remember the used market - the Marketplace here is a great place to get used lenses from trusted sources.
For a 50mm I think I'd start with the less expensive DA50. Remember 50mm is pretty tight indoors, though, so you'll eventually want something wider.