Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2015, 05:05 PM   #1

Boston MA

Hello!

Started photo club at my High school, and kept it up through college as a hobby. But life gets busy.... Getting back in to it in a big way now with a Pentax K-3 and buying as many lenses as I can afford. (I'm a bit of a gear-head) Hope to share lots of pictures and tips back and forth with folks!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by photolady95; 02-03-2015 at 05:19 PM. Reason: removed commercial link
02-03-2015, 05:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome. Looking forward to seeing some images.
02-04-2015, 06:35 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the clubhouse!
02-04-2015, 09:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome! Hope to hear from you on any how-tos you want to share

02-04-2015, 02:13 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome here, gear heads are what makes this place just buzz.
02-07-2015, 08:50 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome here, gear heads are what makes this place just buzz.
Kerrowdown, I hear you! I was irrationally excited about the full frame Pentax announcement- I just bought my K3. There is no need for me to get one......but still.... I'd love to get one. Anyway, thanks for the welcome!

---------- Post added 02-07-15 at 08:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome to the clubhouse!
Thanks! Excellent shot of the Hummingbird by the way! I've been trying to take pictures of the birds here in the MA snow, but exposure is tough with a bright white backdrop. Also my 18-135 kit lens doesn't get that close, and my teleconverter and 135 tamaron isn't that clear. What lens do you use?

---------- Post added 02-07-15 at 08:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
Welcome! Hope to hear from you on any how-tos you want to share
Thanks jack002! I'd love to trade tips. I see you're interested in macro, cars, and stars. I've been playing around with the macro and some long star exposures. What are you shooting with?

---------- Post added 02-07-15 at 09:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
Welcome. Looking forward to seeing some images.
Thanks Rimfiredude! I'll be sure to upload some soon. That Kansas landscape of yours in nice. I'm a coastal dweller, personally, but I can see the beauty in those fields. What is that growing there? I know nothing about farming.
02-07-2015, 09:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NCVBoston Quote
Kerrowdown, I hear you! I was irrationally excited about the full frame Pentax announcement- I just bought my K3. There is no need for me to get one......but still.... I'd love to get one. Anyway, thanks for the welcome!

---------- Post added 02-07-15 at 08:53 AM ----------

Thanks! Excellent shot of the Hummingbird by the way! I've been trying to take pictures of the birds here in the MA snow, but exposure is tough with a bright white backdrop. Also my 18-135 kit lens doesn't get that close, and my teleconverter and 135 tamaron isn't that clear. What lens do you use?

---------- Post added 02-07-15 at 08:55 AM ----------

Thanks jack002! I'd love to trade tips. I see you're interested in macro, cars, and stars. I've been playing around with the macro and some long star exposures. What are you shooting with?

---------- Post added 02-07-15 at 09:01 AM ----------

Thanks Rimfiredude! I'll be sure to upload some soon. That Kansas landscape of yours in nice. I'm a coastal dweller, personally, but I can see the beauty in those fields. What is that growing there? I know nothing about farming.
I was told it is Sorgum a food for pigs.

02-07-2015, 09:31 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

There is no need for me to get one.
Need? Need? Oooh, that's an ugly word, especially when invoked by the spousal unit as in "what do need that for?"
Welcome to the forum.
02-08-2015, 02:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[/COLOR]
Thanks! Excellent shot of the Hummingbird by the way! I've been trying to take pictures of the birds here in the MA snow, but exposure is tough with a bright white backdrop. Also my 18-135 kit lens doesn't get that close, and my teleconverter and 135 tamaron isn't that clear. What lens do you use?[COLOR="Silver"]
The longest convenient lens I have is the DA 55-300 which is good for the price. I do like the 18-135 for a lot of backyard photos though. Snow - well, shoot RAW and you can recover a lot of underexposed areas. Otherwise you have to overexpose the snow. This is one BIG gain with digital sensors from that Sony "sweet 16" on.
02-10-2015, 09:18 AM   #10

Original Poster
Ha! You are right Parallax! Need is a terrible word. Too often a spousal needle to the balloon of my dreams.

---------- Post added 02-10-15 at 09:22 AM ----------

Thanks for the tip. I've been shooting in RAW and using Lightroom. I'm amazed at what it can do. I took a 7 minute exposure of the sky in Amesbury (at f/22) and it was still pitch black until I loaded it in to Lightroom and pulled up the exposure. The picture was under there perfectly. I never would have believed it. Also,looked up that lens on DXOMark and it got very good reviews. I'll be on the look out for one. Thanks .
02-10-2015, 10:13 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is amazing. See what Lightroom can do lifting shadows, too. I've exposed properly for bright areas and had black shadows, lifted them in lightroom. The images were still obviously shadowed (of course) but you could easily see everything there without looking unnatural. And occasionally had terribly underexposed images because my settings got messed up and just a simple exposure adjustment yielded great images.
02-10-2015, 10:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have an old tripod and a old 300mm mirror telephoto lens from the film days. Works great. I have a Flickr set of my moon pics.
02-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Welcome!
02-10-2015, 10:14 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
Welcome!
Hello! I live in Cambridge too!
02-11-2015, 07:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Oh, awesome! I actually live in Somerville, but work in Cambridge. If you see anyone wandering around with a K-3, it's probably me-- I take it everywhere with me!

How 'bout that snow? I'm not sure I like winter that much, but fall was pretty awesome:
« Hello | Hello again »