Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2015, 01:56 AM   #1

Hello from Prague

Hello all,
my name is Jaroslav and I am from the Czech Republic. I've always enjoyed taking pictures with my dad's film compact on family vacations. The kick to buy mi first "serious" camera came from a longer stay in Montreal, where I found my compact to be lacking in functionality and IQ. I needed something better to capture memories from a big trip accross Canada that was on my schedule back then.

I bough a used Samsung NX10 with the 18-55 kit lens for a very reasonable price after reading some very positive reviews. Later on I also acquired the well known Samsung 30mm f2 pancake, which is incredible given the IQ and size. I was also interested in Pentax back then but couldn't find anything suitable in my budget. I used to spend hours on these forums, specially in the Lenses review sections.

After getting a better job, I finally decided to jump in and get myself a brand new K50 with the 18-135 kit lens. Compared to the Samsung, I immediately felt the photographic history and knowledge that is turning the wheels inside the camera. It is not about the IQ or focusing speed but mainly about the feeling of "why can't you do that" that I commonly had with the Samsung which turned into "wow, I didn't know this was possible" that I enjoy having with the Pentax;-)

Unfortunately I don't have as much time devoted for photography as would like. My family has recently moved into an older house where there is a lot to do.

I am a big fan of open source so I run Linux on all my machines and use it in my photography workflow (mainly digikam and darktable). I also like hacking into things. One of my doings was to flash the NX10 with an NX11 firmware given the fact that the two cameras are almost the same and differ mainly in FW. Unfortunately, I am not the author of the hack;-) I just had the idea that it might be possible, did a quick google search and followed a guide...

02-11-2015, 03:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum and I'm glad to hear you'e enjoying your new camera. Prague is a beautiful place for photography.
02-11-2015, 04:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A warm welcome from Frankfurt (Germany) .

I am also a Pentax fan and Linux user. It's good to know that more of us are out there ... .
02-11-2015, 07:07 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum, also from Frankfurt.

I haven't been in Prague since about 1990, so much will have changed.
But between 1987 and 1990 your country (and today's Slovakia) belonged to the regions I was responsible for in my company. So I visited many parts several times a year, either by car from Frankfurt, or by plane to Vienna/Austria + a rented car.

I liked you country (and the people) a lot, and so I also returned several times for holidays.
I remember during a 3 weeks stay I fell ill, and for several days could learn about some shortcomings (lack of equipment and medicaments) of Hradec Králové's university's medical department.

Later I stayed in contact with some of my friends there, but this now seems to be a time quite far away.

Last edited by RKKS08; 02-11-2015 at 07:52 AM.
02-11-2015, 11:59 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from Chicago!

A lot of us were attracted to Pentax because it seemed to take technical photography seriously. It's easy to shift into fully manual shooting when conditions require, or just for fun.
02-11-2015, 02:48 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum.

Please post some images when you get a chance... there that's the incentive to get out photographing stuff, instead of doing house repairs.
02-25-2015, 12:28 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hello all and thanks for the warm welcomes.

I honestly didn't expect that;-)

May the good light be with you!
« Hi! | Hi all »