Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2015, 04:38 PM   #1

Hello from California

Hello Folks,....I'm a lifetime photographer but new to Pentax. I've used Canon DSLRs, Sony a77, and several bridge cameras. I got completely out of the lens changing thing, temporarily, when I bought my Panasonic FZ1000. I think it's one of the best cameras ever built, and really fun to use.

I discovered Pentax accidentally and thought I'd try one, primarily for my twice annual trips to Teton National Park and Yellowstone. My thinking is that a DSLR would be a little better for me in early morning low light. Somewhere, I stumbled onto a description of the Pentax K50 and bought one. I must say, of all the ILCs I've used, this one is the most fun! The "Hyper P Mode" is great and the front and back wheels are an excellent feature. I even use the AA battery attachment, though the camera has never left the house. Great little camera that got me hooked. I suspect I'll be with Pentax a long time and try some of the other models.

I'm a very senior citizen, retired airline pilot and ex fighter pilot. Cameras seem to satisfy my equipment needs that I used to get from jets.

If there's a discussion somewhere about the new KS2, could someone direct me to it? I will probably add either it or the K3 in the next few months. I'm curious about the non AA filter feature.

Nice to meet all of you!

Jack

02-11-2015, 05:07 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Setter Dog Quote
I'm curious about the non AA filter feature.
That feature should work the way same in both the K-S2 and the K-3. Here are some tests that illustrate its capabilities:
Pentax K-3 Review - Moire | PentaxForums.com Reviews

If you're enjoying the K-50, you'll love the K-3 even more. The K-S2 would feel very similar, just a bit more modern here and there.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-11-2015, 08:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello Jack Welcome to the Forums and the Pentax family.
02-11-2015, 08:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome! We will be having a meetup on the 21st f you would like to join.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/43-gatherings-events-groups/286407-southe...21-2015-a.html

02-11-2015, 08:31 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Setter Dog Quote
Hello Folks,....I'm a lifetime photographer but new to Pentax. I've used Canon DSLRs, Sony a77, and several bridge cameras. I got completely out of the lens changing thing, temporarily, when I bought my Panasonic FZ1000. I think it's one of the best cameras ever built, and really fun to use.

I discovered Pentax accidentally and thought I'd try one, primarily for my twice annual trips to Teton National Park and Yellowstone. My thinking is that a DSLR would be a little better for me in early morning low light. Somewhere, I stumbled onto a description of the Pentax K50 and bought one. I must say, of all the ILCs I've used, this one is the most fun! The "Hyper P Mode" is great and the front and back wheels are an excellent feature. I even use the AA battery attachment, though the camera has never left the house. Great little camera that got me hooked. I suspect I'll be with Pentax a long time and try some of the other models.

I'm a very senior citizen, retired airline pilot and ex fighter pilot. Cameras seem to satisfy my equipment needs that I used to get from jets.

If there's a discussion somewhere about the new KS2, could someone direct me to it? I will probably add either it or the K3 in the next few months. I'm curious about the non AA filter feature.

Nice to meet all of you!

Jack
Are you the same Setter Dog as on DPR? Either way, welcome to this forum!

Here's the k-s1 and k-s2 subforum - lots of talk on the ks2
Pentax K-S1 & K-S2 - PentaxForums.com

And since the ks2 is brand new, there's been a lot of talk in the News and Rumors section:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/287993-k-s2-coming.html
02-12-2015, 06:07 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
Hello Jack Welcome to the Forums and the Pentax family.
Thanks, Patrick,...seems like a nice helpful group of Pentax folks on this forum!

Jack

---------- Post added 02-12-15 at 05:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Welcome! We will be having a meetup on the 21st f you would like to join.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/43-gatherings-events-groups/286407-southe...21-2015-a.html
Thanks for the offer to meet,....can't make it this time but maybe in the future.

Jack

---------- Post added 02-12-15 at 05:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
Are you the same Setter Dog as on DPR? Either way, welcome to this forum!

Here's the k-s1 and k-s2 subforum - lots of talk on the ks2
Pentax K-S1 & K-S2 - PentaxForums.com

And since the ks2 is brand new, there's been a lot of talk in the News and Rumors section:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/287993-k-s2-coming.html
Hi Mike,...yes, I'm the same old Setter Dog! Really enjoying my Pentax. The 55-300WR arrived yesterday and I really like the lens. Long zoom on animals is my favorite subject and the 55-300 will be great. It's not the only long zoom I have but it may become my favorite.

Thanks for the links. You are a very helpful guy and I'm glad to see you over here on this forum.

Jack
02-12-2015, 02:20 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, it seems that you've already got a great rapport going on with some of the members already.

02-13-2015, 06:01 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, it seems that you've already got a great rapport going on with some of the members already.
I hope so. Mike was helpful to me on the DP Review forum before I bought my K50. I value user opinions and impressions more than I do expert reviews. Thanks for the welcome. Seems like a good bunch over here,...

Jack