Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2015, 03:35 AM   #1

Pentax 645z and Capture One Pro

Hello,
I have a little problem with dng files from 645z if I want to export them to C1. Yes I know that C1 doesn't support 645z but I have a question. When I'm shooting in PEF files and then using Adobe RAW converter to convert them to DNG, Capture One can see my photos and everything seems to be ok but is converting from PEF to DNG and then exporting to C1 is destructive or non destructive? Thank You for help
Tomek

02-13-2015, 03:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the purchase.

If my understanding is correct: I dont believe that the process would be "destructive" as they are both lossless formats and it is purely raw sensor data.
02-13-2015, 01:46 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I can't quite understand why you seem to be adding a step in your process, just shoot DNG and not PEF.
02-14-2015, 12:44 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, I can't quite understand why you seem to be adding a step in your process, just shoot DNG and not PEF.
It's simple, capture one doesn't recognize dng files from 645z. You have to convert them from pef to dng and then everything seems to be ok. In my opinion their RAW convertors are definitely better than Lightroom though

02-15-2015, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #5

Just a couple points... First, it's not that Capture One doesn't recognize the 645Z - it does. In fact it very much looks specifically for the 645Z and proceeds to disallow the use of the raws. Originally the 645Z was just "not supported" and later CP1 *specifically* disabled it. While there are several ways to trick CP1 into using the files the colors are almost impossible to get correct. You can get close in many cases but it's a lot of work. The easiest method is probably just to edit fields (two of them) in the meta data.
I and many others have tried very hard to make this work well for the same reason you are trying but I think you will find it frustrating.

Going back to Lightroom and being careful about the contrast, sharpness and changing to the embedded profile vs Adobe standard will go a long way to get the CP1 look out of LR.

I hope this helps. It has been incredibly frustrating for many people and I think we all feel a little cheated by CP1. They have their business reasons and you can't really fault them for that but I don't think anyone had any idea they would specifically sabotage the processing of the 645Z raws. It's important to remember CP1 is in the business of selling medium format cameras and the software is just a support for that. They have support for other cameras "as a convenience" to their customers that use other cameras besides theirs. Also they have publicly (on forums) said they will never support the 645z and any new thread posted on their site about it will be deleted. I love the CP1 raw conversion - it's spectacular - but their interests (money from camera sales) and mine (making good pictures with whatever camera I choose) seem to have diverged.
02-15-2015, 11:50 PM   #6

Compatibility of Pentax 645Z with Capture One

For those who might be interested in the effectiveness of using the Pentax 645Z shooting DNG and Capture One, proceed with caution. I reviewed the camera recently and found the combination to be unacceptable in regards to the handling of colours. Disappointing in the extreme.

Pentax 645Z and Capture One

E
Attached Images

02-16-2015, 05:33 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DougS Quote
Just a couple points... First, it's not that Capture One doesn't recognize the 645Z - it does. In fact it very much looks specifically for the 645Z and proceeds to disallow the use of the raws. Originally the 645Z was just "not supported" and later CP1 *specifically* disabled it. While there are several ways to trick CP1 into using the files the colors are almost impossible to get correct. You can get close in many cases but it's a lot of work. The easiest method is probably just to edit fields (two of them) in the meta data.
I and many others have tried very hard to make this work well for the same reason you are trying but I think you will find it frustrating.

Going back to Lightroom and being careful about the contrast, sharpness and changing to the embedded profile vs Adobe standard will go a long way to get the CP1 look out of LR.

I hope this helps. It has been incredibly frustrating for many people and I think we all feel a little cheated by CP1. They have their business reasons and you can't really fault them for that but I don't think anyone had any idea they would specifically sabotage the processing of the 645Z raws. It's important to remember CP1 is in the business of selling medium format cameras and the software is just a support for that. They have support for other cameras "as a convenience" to their customers that use other cameras besides theirs. Also they have publicly (on forums) said they will never support the 645z and any new thread posted on their site about it will be deleted. I love the CP1 raw conversion - it's spectacular - but their interests (money from camera sales) and mine (making good pictures with whatever camera I choose) seem to have diverged.
Thank You DougS. That's correct, C1 recognize PEF files after converting to DNG but colours, contrast etc. are not the same. So in my opinion, until P1 will start to support 645Z I have to back to LR. This is now the best solution I think. Or maybe LR 6 will copy-paste Color Balance tool from C1 and I will be very happy then ))

---------- Post added 02-16-15 at 01:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ewenbell Quote
For those who might be interested in the effectiveness of using the Pentax 645Z shooting DNG and Capture One, proceed with caution. I reviewed the camera recently and found the combination to be unacceptable in regards to the handling of colours. Disappointing in the extreme.

Pentax 645Z and Capture One

E
ewenbell - nothing more nothing less. I loved C1, now I have to fall in love with LR
09-14-2015, 03:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know how to simply post a link to an existing post (one of mine in this context), so here's my same post repeated:

Context: I've been disappointed and annoyed to discover that Phase One have a policy of not supporting the P645D or P645Z to any comparable degree to the many other makes and models of camera. Only recently have upgrades to C1 Pro even permitted P645Z DNG files to be imported and recognised. In the case of the P645D C1 Pro simply provides a generic 'DNG Neutral' profile that certainly doesn't reproduce acceptable P645D colours.

http://www.alexmunoz.net/capture811/ Alex Munoz' method for creating a P645D(or Z) colour profile for use in Capture One Pro.

Thanks to Alex Munoz and dcshooter who kindly posted a link to Alex's very useful approach to customising colour profiles for the 645Z for use with Capture One Pro.

Following Alex Munoz's website, I have just used the Advanced Color Editor function in C1 Pro 8.3, to produce a camera profile: a C1 Pro ICC file (.icc or in fact .icm where 'm' denotes a manual edit of an existing icc file). I started with the 645Z colour profile that was available from Alex's website. This was a slight improvement on previous customised ICC files I had created using a similar process.

Alex describes the process here CaptureFix 645z ICC profile for Capture One by Alex MunozAlex Munoz – Visualizing Your Story

I attach Dropbox links to my 645D colour profile if anyone wants to give it a try, and for the WB and X-Rite ColorMatrix test shots, the latter being used in constructing the 645D colour profile, as per Alex's video.

#1 My customised P645D ICC (.icm) file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/idanojis74it1rj/645Dfrom645z.icm?dl=0
#2 The X-Rite ColorChecker test shot DNG file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/karsa1gggtlm1b6/_DMC6690.DNG?dl=0
#3 The WB DNG file I used to first set the WB in #2 (I had selected Cloudy WB in-camera when photographed): https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8mdr4yoq9nhdjr/_DMC6689.DNG?dl=0

I don't regard this colour profile as 100% by any means, but it is a visible improvement on my previous attempts and I'm finally coming to the conclusion that I will be able to continue to use C1 Pro as my preferred RAW editor. (Phase One's attitude to the P645D / Z stinks, however commercially predictable).

Finally, Pentax MF lenses don't appear in C1 Pro's database to permit their inclusion into the Lens Correction suite however it should be possible to create custom lens profiles in the usual way ( I haven't done that myself yet).

Update: I've reverted to an earlier profile that I prepared using X-Rite's Color Checker software. Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57748725/P645D-wintersun-Landscape.icc
I've also just ordered Huelight's P645D profile which seems good value at US$15. I'll see how that fares.

Last edited by lenticular; 11-23-2015 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Updated profile info.