Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2015, 02:37 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Hello again

I am middle aged guy in SE Indiana-not far from Cincinnati- who got scared off of Pentax by problems I encountered with my new K5 a few years ago. Since that time, I have senselessly used/accumulated a bunch of other gear. I can't complain about the performance of any of it. It is all better than I am. Always remembered how good the K5 was from a size, build quality, shutter noise, and image quality standpoint. I jumped back on the Pentax wagon a couple weeks ago. Couldn't resist the fire-sale price on a K5IIs. Talked my local camera shop into matching a major internet camera store; and here I am again. I plan to stick it out this time. Great camera. Great website.

I am kind of embarrassed as now I will likely "fire-sale" my other gear. Except the A7- seeing as to how I can mount every legacy lens I have on it. Including the Pentax glass.

I look forward to participating.

02-14-2015, 03:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, glad you sorted out your problems and now have a smooth road to good photography.
02-14-2015, 04:15 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum and welcome back to Pentax.
02-14-2015, 04:22 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum and welcome back to Pentax.
Thanks for the welcome folks.

Kerrowdown,

Due to family origins, I took orders to Dunoon back when they had the submarine refit site there.......Charter member of Dunnon Real Ale Appreciation Society 30 years ago. I miss it something awful. I would give a lot to one day journey back to take some photos. One of my favorite memories of the place was a saying concerning weather:

If you can see across the Clyde, it is going to rain. If you cannot see across the Clyde, it is raining.

Thanks again.

02-14-2015, 04:27 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by tennjed Quote
f you can see across the Clyde, it is going to rain. If you cannot see across the Clyde, it is raining.
You sure make it sound like Scotland's a wet place to be.
02-14-2015, 04:29 PM   #6

Original Poster
You sure make it sound like Scotland's a wet place to be.
Nothing that a little William Younger's couldn't make me ignore.
02-15-2015, 01:49 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

a little William Younger's couldn't make me ignore
With me I'm afraid it's a few uisge beatha that are required.

02-15-2015, 05:25 AM   #8

Original Poster
With me I'm afraid it's a few uisge beatha that are required.
What surprised me at the time, being a Scotch on the Rocks guy, -The Famous Grouse, when the feeling overcomes me- was the popularity of Southern Comfort with the locals. A sailor could go into the Navy Exchange, purchase a bottle of Southern Comfort, and exchange for just about anything...Within reason.

I suspect my landlady had a taste for whiskey: if I had a bottle of The Grouse in the cabinet, the level would never change, but the stuff got considerably weaker as days passed. It all came out even though, She taught me how to eat at the Queen's table......Couldn't stand watching me use a knife and fork.

I am smiling now, as I recall sitting at the table, an adopted Yank, with her stareing across the table at me; her snaggle-toothed Yorkshire Terrier , Mouser Boy, sitting on the floor to my right, looking up at me with as much disapproval as she.

"Fair fa' your honest sonsie face,
Great Chieftain o the pudding race!"
02-15-2015, 05:34 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

was the popularity of Southern Comfort with the locals
You have to understand that in Dunoon Southern Comfort was just "so cosmopolitain" especially back then, it probably hadn't been seen before until you guys showed up.
02-15-2015, 05:43 AM   #10

Original Poster
I am still amazed that it was even identified as whiskey.
02-16-2015, 07:01 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!
I grew up in Cincy, but am now in the Chicago area. There are things I like about both, but have been here for 20 years.