Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2015, 01:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Happy Pentax owner...again!

Hello,

I finally got my camera back form the ex. Its been years since I held my Pentax ist DL. I was going to go buy another one but she gave in.

We got the camera in 05 in Seattle and has only been used for about 500 pics since then. Had to do some cleaning on the little guy but still takes awesome pics.

I went to 5 different stores looking for a 2GB SD card so I could upgrade the firmware but no one carries them so I had to wait for Amazon to deliver one.

There is a few dust specs in the view finder but when inspecting the pics the dust doesn't show up. Thought about replacing the view finder, not sure if I want to tear it apart for that. I remember a piece of dust showed up the week we bought it in the view finder and that is still there. I guess I can just consider it a speck of memory. LOL

Well cheers and hope to be using my Pentax an awful lot lately. I originally wanted it to take better pics than my iphone for my website which is my user name added with- in life dot com Just incase anyone was interested in 3D printing.

02-15-2015, 01:21 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Heavenly Creation Quote
There is a few dust specs in the view finder but when inspecting the pics the dust doesn't show up. Thought about replacing the view finder, not sure if I want to tear it apart for that. I remember a piece of dust showed up the week we bought it in the view finder and that is still there. I guess I can just consider it a speck of memory. LOL
Get a manual air blower and blow some air onto the focusing screen. That should loosen up any dust

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-15-2015, 02:18 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and welcome back to Pentax.
02-15-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Get a manual air blower and blow some air onto the focusing screen. That should loosen up any dust
Thanks. I have an airbrush painter and use it as an air blower. But getting in the View finder is a bit of a task. I haven't found anyway online to get into the view finder with ought taking the machine apart.

Its a bit annoying to se the specs but they don't show up in the pictures. I used an electronics cleaning kit and the blower to clean the camera but if anyone knows of a way to blow air in the view finder, I'm all ears. lol

Thanks for the welcome.

02-15-2015, 06:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Get a Giottos Rocket Blower to flush out dust from the viewfinder/focusing screen. Btw, viewfinder dust will never appear in your photos, so don't worry about that However, dust on the sensor WILL show up on photos, but you can use the rocket blower for that, too. Welcome back to the club - I still use my old *ist D a lot & it's over 10 years old!
02-15-2015, 09:33 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks. I have an airbrush painter and use it as an air blower. But getting in the View finder is a bit of a task. I haven't found anyway online to get into the view finder with ought taking the machine apart.

Its a bit annoying to se the specs but they don't show up in the pictures. I used an electronics cleaning kit and the blower to clean the camera but if anyone knows of a way to blow air in the view finder, I'm all ears. lol

Thanks for the welcome.
Just take the lens off and blow air at the focusing screen. That should help.

Very rarely, dust will make it on the other side of the focusing screen, in which case you would have to remove it to clean it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-06-2016, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I found my ist DL a bit lacking for taking good photos in any kind of low light so I just went and got myself a K3.

Just received it today and already I love it. Just need to learn the camera a bit and I'll be even happier.

To think I was going to get a Canon or a Nikon, and researched them for a few days then realized with all the great Pentax lenses that I should go with a new Pentax. Luckily, the new Pentax cameras are better than the cameras I was researching.

I hope to learn my camera this month and will post some pics after I get into the swing of things.

Cheers!
01-07-2016, 12:31 AM   #8
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Heavenly Creation. Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by pjv; 01-07-2016 at 06:54 AM.
01-11-2016, 05:43 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum.
01-11-2016, 08:34 PM   #10
Forum Member

Oh. I thought you meant a K-1000. Sorry.
01-12-2016, 04:39 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations, and it is a great camera. There is a very good tutorial for it by Yvon Bourque that is often on the Marketplace that kick-started me with mine.
01-12-2016, 06:15 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Its been years since I held my Pentax ist DL.
They are lovely cameras, and if mine hadn't abruptly died I would still be using it today. Their only downfall is poor high-ISO performance in comparison with the current breed, and inability to work with DC lenses like the 18-135, but that's no slur against them (the upside is that they will work with SDM lenses in screwdrive mode). It was good up to any ISO I used to be able to buy film for back in the old days, although I do wish its base ISO had been lower.

The K3 hadn't been released when my *ist-DL died and the K5-II was, I think, brand spanking new, so I got a (by then) tried and true K-5. Being able to go down to ISO 80 was as fantastic as being able to go up to 51,200, something I must admit I almost never do... but yeah, by the time the *ist-DL is struggling at its maximum limits, the K-5 and subsequent cameras are still purring along nicely. I wish they'd been able to fix my *ist-DL; I would have kept it for the Takumars I started buying mid last year, as the CCD chip is supposed to have a very film-like rendering that suits the images they deliver. Sadly it wasn't to be. I hope you keep yours; you may yet find it has its uses.
01-12-2016, 06:38 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum... I still get out my K20D with it's ccd every now and then, but, the auto-focus on my K-3 has ruined me. I also started with a *ist. but, I have very few of the images I took with it.
01-12-2016, 01:12 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Welcome from Alabama!
01-16-2016, 12:14 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am so happy i got a K3. I wanted night shots and here is my first test night shot.

Last edited by Heavenly Creation; 01-16-2016 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Pic didnt post