Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2015, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #1

New gal/old film photographer

Hi All, Love that i found this forum. I have been using pentax cameras since my first K-1000 back in the 70's. I am getting back in to photography, but have a lot to learn. my only digital experience has been with point and shoots. I will be doing alot of nature photo. especially of flowers. any recommendations? right now i am thinking of purchasing a K-3, I want great resolution and a camera that will fill my needs for years to come.

02-18-2015, 06:56 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any more info you can share about what you photograph and what is important to you?

If you are just getting back into dslr from point and shoot the k-S1 or k-S2 may offer some slight advantage given that they have scene modes that will help ease you back to manual control, but the k3 is quite attractively priced and a better camera overall.
02-18-2015, 07:20 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Any more info you can share about what you photograph and what is important to you?

If you are just getting back into dslr from point and shoot the k-S1 or k-S2 may offer some slight advantage given that they have scene modes that will help ease you back to manual control, but the k3 is quite attractively priced and a better camera overall.
Hi, at one point i was a pretty serious photographer, but life got in the way. Now i want to photograph my garden, flowers, landscapes critters etc. I hybridize daylilies and need to have the best images of the flowers that i can make both for possible sales and for photo contests. I need weather resistant since i may be out in the rain or (rainforest) or crawling around on a forest floor trying to get a shot of a frog or salamder. I dont want bells and whistles, but solid working features that will serve me for while.
I have one really good lens my Macro that was the fixture on my camera, I need to research lenes too. I assume the kit lens are not the best. so i am wondering if a body and then slowing buying quality lens is the way to go.
02-18-2015, 07:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

You might want to look at this guy and his posts.....
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/289022-nature-perfect-red.html

Just based on what he does, I'd say start with a K-3 or KS-2 and DFA 100 2.8 macro. I'd seriously consider the rotating screen on the KS-2, excellent for live view shooting from odd angles, for flower images. The problem being that the KS-2 being new, will drop a lot in price over the next few months, while the K-3 is already pretty much rock bottom. And something like a K5IIs might be quite good for you as well, if you wanted to save money to get the macro lens.

Also the Tamron 90 macro is also a great lens, as is the Sigma 70 macro if you were looking for cheaper options. I know you said great resolution, but, the K-5 series have great Dynamic Range... something that might be as important in flower photography as the extra resolution.

As for kit lenses these days, since the advent of computer use in lens design, even kit lenses are very good quality. I don't use my 18-55 because the 18-135 has more range, not because I didn't get good pictures with the 18-55. Of course you can do better with DA* lenses, but really, unless you're planning to use the lens with a TC at some point, no consumer level lens is going to let you down very often. And that little bit of extra quality, costs a lot. You really have to be selective in your purchases.

If you have an old macro you are happy with, you'll probably be happy with it on your new body as well.

Last edited by normhead; 02-18-2015 at 07:50 AM.
02-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You might want to look at this guy and his posts.....
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/289022-nature-perfect-red.html

Just based on what he does, I'd say start with a K-3 or KS-2 and DFA 100 2.8 macro. I'd seriously consider the rotating screen on the KS-2, excellent for live view shooting from odd angles, for flower images. The problem being that the KS-2 being new, will drop a lot in price over the next few months, while the K-3 is already pretty much rock bottom. And something like a K5IIs might be quite good for you as well, if you wanted to save money to get the macro lens.

Also the Tamron 90 macro is also a great lens, as is the Sigma 70 macro if you were looking for cheaper options. I know you said great resolution, but, the K-5 series have great Dynamic Range... something that might be as important in flower photography as the extra resolution.

As for kit lenses these days, since the advent of computer use in lens design, even kit lenses are very good quality. I don't use my 18-55 because the 18-135 has more range, not because I didn't get good pictures with the 18-55. Of course you can do better with DA* lenses, but really, unless you're planning to use the lens with a TC at some point, no consumer level lens is going to let you down very often. And that little bit of extra quality, costs a lot. You really have to be selective in your purchases.

If you have an old macro you are happy with, you'll probably be happy with it on your new body as well.
If your beloved macro lens in a Pentax mount, then all you need is a digital body. Every K mount lens ever made for Pentax can be used just fine on the new cameras. You can worry about other lenses later. I also recommend the K-3 if you want a full feature slr. I love mine and I come from a film background as well. Aren't day lilies great, I am a member of the Day Lily club here in Austin.
02-18-2015, 10:27 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Either the new K-S2 or the K3 would work for you, I think. if you get a K3 getting the body only would make sense to my mind. You can always add lenses later. Try the macro you have before buying a replacement - some film era macro lenses do very well with digital sensors, while others do not.

If you decide on the K-s2, then think about the new collapsible kit lens. It would give you a smaller lens for walk-about. Only problem is that it's just come out and the quality is unknown.
02-18-2015, 11:17 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Great advice above. One thing to remember is that the lenses you use need to be weather resistant as well if you want to use the combo in conditions that you would not feel comfortable otherwise. The D FA 100 f/2.8 WR fits this bill but due to focal length as well as crop factor you may find the working distance needed for someflowers is farther than you want to be - particularly in tight quarters like a greenhouse. Personally this is not typically a problem for me.

Pentax makes a great 50 and 35mm macro in addition to the 100 but I believe only the 100 is available with weather resistance.

---------- Post added 02-18-15 at 01:30 PM ----------

A good fun all around weather resistant non-macro lens is the 18-135 pentax.
02-18-2015, 12:48 PM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by linda lilly Quote
New gal/old film photographer
Welcome, that's certainly better that way round rather than the other... an old gal/new photographer.