Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2015, 09:59 AM   #1

Hello from a Luddite in Texas

Greetings all,

Started SLR photography back in the mid 1970, Yashica TL Electro, after a decade playing with a cheap twin leans camera. Finally went to the Minolta system, which I still have. Like most, I suspect, got into digital with a point and shoot and done little film since.

I did have a Pentax ME film camera, which took excellent pictures and was great as a small travel camera, but was actually too small to suit and didn't like having no control. Decided to try a DSLR and picked Pentax mostly because of the weather resistance, and the fact that the ME took so good pictures, technically great that is. Good photographs are more photographer that camera in my opinion. Plus I really didn't want to join the canikon crowd.

Still like doing things more manually or I tend to enter a point and shoot mode, which at least with me is not conducive to taking good photos. I just start pushing the shutter button instead of taking my time. It is kind of surprising how often I put it in manual mode and turn off auto focus.

The one observation I have is that while with the old Yashica I was mostly concerned with learning photography. Learning about f-stop and shutter speed usage as well as composure. The operation of the camera was very simple. Now it seems that the biggest hurtle that a new photographer would face would be the camera operation. I suspect the majority simply drop into a point and shoot mode.

Being a technical type person, physics major, electronic tech and former network administrator, I've had little problem on figuring out how to do most of what I need, and then some. I do however see how it would be very intimidating for a person new in to photography. Too bad there isn't a simple quality digital SLR without all the features so one could spend more initial time learning photography instead of operating the equipment.

But that is the Luddite in me and I doubt there would be much of a market for it. I love all the bell and whistles and raw mode is so neat. Now I just need to get an IR pass filter and start playing with some IR photography. Hadn't been able to do any of that since my old Nikon 880 died.

Now to start exploring this fantastic resource and do some learning. Don't see how we able made it without the internet resources now available.

02-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You are going to have so much fun.
02-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which body did you get? The K-50 and the K-S1 or K-S2 are good for those who want simple but more than just point and shoot. These cameras offer a SCENE mode - something I doubt you would need but something a total newbie with limited tolerance for learning the technical side of photography might enjoy. Using the SCENE modes you can tell the camera what you are trying to do and have it try to make the right choices to fit.
02-24-2015, 05:06 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, the basic photography bit is still pretty much the same as the old days... just with DSLRs there's nowhere now to put the film in.

02-24-2015, 07:15 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, the basic photography bit is still pretty much the same as the old days... just with DSLRs there's nowhere now to put the film in.
And no waiting for film to develop to know basic info about the shots.
02-24-2015, 07:22 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Which body did you get? The K-50 and the K-S1 or K-S2 are good for those who want simple but more than just point and shoot. These cameras offer a SCENE mode - something I doubt you would need but something a total newbie with limited tolerance for learning the technical side of photography might enjoy. Using the SCENE modes you can tell the camera what you are trying to do and have it try to make the right choices to fit.
I've noticed all the modes. I can see a use for them but been spending most of my time in M Tv and Av. M for the most part. Love the fact I can use my phone as a remote release. Oh the possibilities.

Also love the in camera time lapse.
02-24-2015, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome!

I too am a Luddite. Proudly so. We need a "proud film user" image tag here. While I love and use everything film and digital (except Sony mirrorless and SLT cameras) Pentax has a sweet spot for value. They seem able to offer more for less than Canon or Nikon. One simple trick I try to use that seems to help my photography is to ask myself "are you ever going to print this?" before I take a shot. While that may not always pop into mind, the relevant digital question does: "are you going to share this image"? Either one works to lower the shutter count on the body and increase the keeper rate - a bit. I still take plenty of crappy shots.

02-24-2015, 07:29 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
Welcome!

I too am a Luddite. Proudly so. We need a "proud film user" image tag here. While I love and use everything film and digital (except Sony mirrorless and SLT cameras) Pentax has a sweet spot for value. They seem able to offer more for less than Canon or Nikon. One simple trick I try to use that seems to help my photography is to ask myself "are you ever going to print this?" before I take a shot. While that may not always pop into mind, the relevant digital question does: "are you going to share this image"? Either one works to lower the shutter count on the body and increase the keeper rate - a bit. I still take plenty of crappy shots.
In my film days I would count it a good day if I got 3 pictures out of 36 that were really worthy of printing and keeping - I also shot almost exclusively slides. Now looking back I'm glad I kept the garbage - the memory factor is nice.
02-24-2015, 07:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Some of the best people come from Lud.

Welcome, and yea... you're gonna have fun.
02-24-2015, 08:01 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
Welcome!

One of the nicest things I find about digital, besides not having to wait during development to see what I got, is that bad shots cost so little. I now have no problem with taking multiple variations of the same subject trying to get the perfect one. The miser in me sometimes interfered with my doing that when using film.

On the negative side, I enjoyed my time in a dark room more than sitting at a computer. But it sure is easier now.
02-24-2015, 08:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello from a fellow luddite. I converted to Digital at gun point !
02-24-2015, 09:23 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Please - true Luddites never stopped using these: Daguerreotype - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
02-26-2015, 07:56 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Hello from a fellow luddite. I converted to Digital at gun point !
I "gave" my Minolta film camera and lenses to my daughter, 27 years old. She likes it a lot better than her digital. Says she can take a lot better pictures with it. Prefers B&W also. A real Luddite in the making.

Just wish I still had my old darkroom set up. She'd probably love watching the images form.
02-27-2015, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Please - true Luddites never stopped using these: Daguerreotype - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wharvey -Welcome Aboard. Old timer here too. I got m first SLR (Mamiya/Sekor 500 DTL - still have it) in 1970 or so. I took some pretty good shots with it. Shot transparencies almost exclusively. Added other Pentax and Ricoh SLRs over the years. Got into DLSR's in 2012 with a Pentax K5. Added a K5-IIs a year later and a K3 last December.

Now as to true Luddites. We stick to Daguerreotypes for a reason. We still haven't found a lens that can out resolve the media. The image takes place at the molecular level so no chance in that happening anytime soon. So you new comers can be stuck with all your low level images and us Luddites will stay with our better than tack sharp images. We also enjoy breathing in the mercury fumes. What harm can possibly come of that?
02-27-2015, 10:14 PM   #15

Welcome. You finally made it here