Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2015, 12:05 AM   #1

Hello from the Outer Banks!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I was into film photography in the 70's. Started in the photo club in high school. I loved the Pentax K1000 we had in photo club. The first camera I owned was a Nikkormat FT3, which I still have and love. Life got busy and I lost touch with photography for enjoyment. I decided to get back into the hobby I loved so much in my youth and treated myself to a Pentax K - 50, which I am eagerly awaiting delivery of. Your forum was very helpful in making my choice. This will be my first digital SLR so I have much to learn. I am very excited to start!

02-25-2015, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, glad you could join us.
02-25-2015, 04:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Pam, and welcome to Pentax Forums.

Your story is a familiar one to some of us. The demands of career and family cause many to put aside our other interests, but they often return when life gets a little less hectic. Enjoy your K50. It's an excellent start to digital work.

Where, by the way, are the Outer Banks? The membership here is multi-national, so regional names won't be familiar to at least half your audience.
02-25-2015, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard, Pam.
The Outer Banks is a string of narrow barrier islands off North Carolina and Southern Virginia. They've got a really interesting history.

02-25-2015, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Pam! Looking forward to seeing some of your images.
02-25-2015, 08:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome, fellow K-50 owner! It's an excellent camera. What lens(es) did you get with it? Be sure to get a WR lens of some sort for the times when you're out on the OBX beaches taking pictures! I vacation in Duck every summer with my family; it's such a wonderful place!
02-25-2015, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm a fan of Hatteras Village - sad to see how downtrodden it has become these days. I bought a K50 and 18-135 last year and love it. Great camera, great camera, great camera - did I mention it's a great camera?

02-25-2015, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Pam Quote
Hello from the Outer Banks!
Welcome to the forum, enjoy all it has to offer.

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
a string of narrow barrier islands off North Carolina and Southern Virginia
Thanks for that I was wondering too.
02-25-2015, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Pam. You'll find everyone here helpful and ready to answer any questions you'll have going forward.

Having been born and raised in eastern NC I know you have a wonderful venue for great pictures there, so enjoy your new camera and be sure to share some pictures with us all!
02-25-2015, 08:48 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pam Quote
The first camera I owned was a Nikkormat FT3
Welcome. Don't neglect the Nikkormat, it is a beautifully made camera. There are many of us who still shoot with film.
02-26-2015, 12:37 PM   #11
Pam

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Hi Pam, and welcome to Pentax Forums.

Your story is a familiar one to some of us. The demands of career and family cause many to put aside our other interests, but they often return when life gets a little less hectic. Enjoy your K50. It's an excellent start to digital work.

Where, by the way, are the Outer Banks? The membership here is multi-national, so regional names won't be familiar to at least half your audience.
Thanks for the welcome RobA _ Oz! The Outer Banks (aka OBX) is a string of barrier islands off the coast of North Carolina and a small portion of Virginia. They cover most of the North Carolina coastline. I am in the town of Kill Devil Hills. It is a truly beautiful place to live!

---------- Post added 02-26-15 at 02:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Welcome, fellow K-50 owner! It's an excellent camera. What lens(es) did you get with it? Be sure to get a WR lens of some sort for the times when you're out on the OBX beaches taking pictures! I vacation in Duck every summer with my family; it's such a wonderful place!
Thanks for the welcome! My kit comes with an 18-55 mm and a 50-200 mm WR lens. And yes I think the K-50 will be perfect for the environment I will be shooting in!

---------- Post added 02-26-15 at 02:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Welcome. Don't neglect the Nikkormat, it is a beautifully made camera. There are many of us who still shoot with film.
I think you are right. Once I get all the rust out of my brain and get back into the groove I think I will break out the Nikkormat and some film!
02-26-2015, 04:18 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think my Nikkormat FT3 was my 3rd 35mm camera. Plastic 35mm, Yashika Electro 35, Nikkormat FT3. It's stilling quite close to me right now... it needs a good CLA - who does what Eric does for Nikons?
02-26-2015, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Welcome Pam from the other side of the state. Be sure to stop by Sylvan Heights Bird Park outside Scotland Neck on a sunny day with that new K-50. You'll be amazed at the colors in each area.