Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2015, 09:02 PM   #1

Hello

Greetings from California. Your photos posted in the various contests are really nice! WOW!

I went from Pentax film cameras to a K10D for several years, but yearned for a full frame camera. Last summer, I obtained a Sony A7R. With the adapter, all of my Pentax lenses from 20mm M to 300mm A work just fine. These lenses all received favorable tests from Modern Photography years ago, and I still love to use them. The Sony A7R camera shows the image at shooting aperture, and the files are large and have lots of detail. Finally, I am not missing Fugi Velvia 50 and Kodak Panatomic-X films anymore.

I will be curious to see the specifications of the new full frame Pentax. I considered the K3 for awhile, but it did not incorporate the "green button" semiautomatic exposure system for using M and SMC lenses found in the K10D. I hope that Ricoh-Pentax will remember that its roots are still in the old 42M screw mount, SMC, M and A lenses in designing this new camera.

03-01-2015, 09:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Lens User Quote
but it did not incorporate the "green button" semiautomatic exposure system for using M and SMC lenses found in the K10D
It does, actually. Works just like the K10D

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-02-2015, 08:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing some of your images.
03-02-2015, 12:29 PM   #4

Original Poster
K3 Green Button

Good to see the very interesting post on using older manual focus lenses (42M, SMC & M) on Pentax digital cameras. Here is the response that I got from Ricoh Pentax on this question. It is the basis of by statement that the K3 does not have the green button hyper-manual mode.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 6:31 AM
To: Pentax Lens User
Subject: Pentax Support PTX-140623-0093

Dear Pentax Lens User,

Thank you for contacting RICOH.

The K-3 does not have a programmable TV shift function when using older M series lenses (or lenses that do not have an "A" in the aperture ring). With the K-3 in manual mode you can set your shutter speed using the front edial on the camera using the reference exposure metering scale in the viewfinder and on the INFO screen.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,

Randall S.

RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION

PHONE: 800.234.0276 / 800.877.0155

Your Email:

I have a Pentax K10D, and with M lenses, I use hyper-manual mode by pushing the green button to set exposure and then the shutter button to record.

In the Operating Manual for the K-3, there is a green button listed on pages 9 and 97 but no description of the hyper-manual mode on pages 81 or 83. The descriptions on pages 71 and 72 from the index do not address my needs.

Does the K-3 have a hyper-manual mode using the green button similar to the K10D? If it currently does not, will you supply an upgrade that allows this useful function?

03-02-2015, 01:02 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

In the Operating Manual for the K-3, there is a green button listed on pages 9 and 97 but no description of the hyper-manual mode on pages 81 or 83. The descriptions on pages 71 and 72 from the index do not address my needs. Does the K-3 have a hyper-manual mode using the green button similar to the K10D? If it currently does not, will you supply an upgrade that allows this useful function?
Did you see my reply above? The K-3 works in exactly the same way as the K10D when it comes to shooting with manual lenses. You set the camera to M mode, press the green button to get the camera to set the shutter speed, and fire away.

What the CSR was getting at is that unlike on Pentax's cheaper models, you do not need to change a menu setting to get green button stop-down metering to work on the K-3.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-02-2015, 03:13 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
I will be curious to see the specifications of the new full frame Pentax
Welcome, your not alone with that thought.
03-03-2015, 12:10 PM   #7

Original Poster
Green Button

Adam, thank you for the information in your post. The information in the K3 manual was not clear to me. In addition, the reply from Ricoh-Pentax also was not clear to me, hence, I did not get a K3. It would have been better if they had explained how to use 42M, SMC and M lenses with a step by step description as you did in your post.