Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2015, 08:51 PM   #1

Pentax 645D

Hello everyone, My name is Ricardo,
I'm a proud new owner of the above mentioned, I have purchased this camera base on the spectacular reviews I have read yet I'm a bit lost as to what mount is compatible to this camera
if anyone could give the required knowledge on this, I will greatly appreciated
I'm so used to Canon 5DMarkII and 1Ds Mark III with their interchangeable lenses

thank you,

03-04-2015, 09:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Take a look here:
Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
And scroll down to the 645 section nearer the bottom. The older 'A' series lenses are manual focus only. The 'FA' lenses don't have weather sealing (but do have an aperture ring). The newer DFA lenses have weather sealing, but no aperture ring. The DA lenses don't work on the older 645 film bodies (but all the others do). The DA and DFA are designed for the 645D, the FA series will work admirably (FA35 and FA120 are very highly regarded), and a good copy of an A series will do a decent enough job (as long as you don't mind manual focus).

There are also 67 to 645 adapters available, so those lenses are also an option. Just be warned that the 67 lenses are HUGE, and the adapters can be quite expensive (although you can find reasonably priced fotodiax adapters second hand if you look hard enough).

I have seen some other Medium format lenses used on the 645, but again it's basically a question of finding an adapter.

Hope that helps! Enjoy your 645D!
03-04-2015, 10:22 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RDF Photography Quote
Hello everyone, My name is Ricardo,
I'm a proud new owner of the above mentioned, I have purchased this camera base on the spectacular reviews I have read yet I'm a bit lost as to what mount is compatible to this camera
if anyone could give the required knowledge on this, I will greatly appreciated
I'm so used to Canon 5DMarkII and 1Ds Mark III with their interchangeable lenses

thank you,
The 645D uses the Pentax 645 mount, so as robthebloke said, you can use any of the Pentax 645 lenses listed here. The official mount designation is Pentax 645 AF2.

You can't adapt 35mm/APS-C lenses as they don't cover the medium format image circle.

Only a handful of modern 645 lenses have been released by Pentax:
-DA 25mm
-DA 28-45mm
-D FA 55mm
-D FA 90mm

However, many older FA (autofocus) lenses are still in production and available new or used.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-05-2015, 08:19 AM   #4

Original Poster
645D Lenses

Thank you all for the advisory feedback, I and now more exited than when I made the purchase for due to these great forums, I now see a clear path of a world full of images to be captured with this great tool and the strong responsed from this community

I can't thank you enough
best regards to you all,

03-06-2015, 12:26 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
That's your question answered so I'll just welcome you to the forum.
03-17-2015, 07:28 AM   #6

Original Poster
Pentax 645D

Thank you,