Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2015, 11:00 AM   #1

Hello from Southern California

Hi. I am new to dslr photography and image processing. I got a K-3 in late January with a Pentax SMCP-DA 50mm f/1.8 lens and a used Pentax 55-300MM F/4-5.8. I have been wanting to get into dslr photography for several years but it was put off by one reason or another (life) and partly because I couldn't decide which brand or camera to go with- so many options, so many opinions. I enjoy my point and shoot cameras, which have all been Canon. They took good pictures and I had pretty good luck with in terms of durability. So it was a little leap of faith for me to switch brands. I went with the K-3 because it has a great list of features for the price. I like taking pictures outdoors, so it being weather/dust resistant is great. The Flu card is pretty cool and I really really like that you don't have to install another app and keep it up to date. No big complaints so far but I am a little annoyed with the fact that the camera firmware information is not up-to-date across all sites:

Downloads & Literature - RICOH Imaging
versus
Latest K-3 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

My camera was shipped with the latest firmware but I was curious to the update process and what changes/ fixes were made between the different versions.

I've been learning from lurking/searching on various forums and purchased Yvon Bourque's K-3 ebook. I've processed my first RAW image today using the Ricoh Digital Camera Utility 5 that was included with the camera. I have Picasa installed but it wasn't displaying the RAW files. I used it to crop the jpg. I have a copy Adobe LR 5 that shipped with a printer but haven't installed it yet.
There's my DSLR life story so far. Usually it's hard to get two words out of me....

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-07-2015, 02:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums.

You just missed our last meet-up, but you might want to join the group:

California Pentax Users - PentaxForums.com
03-07-2015, 02:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello and welcome to The forums as well as the Pentax family
03-07-2015, 03:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing some of your images.

03-08-2015, 02:15 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome, enjoy that new camera and get stuck into that Lightroom too, it's a great bit of software.
03-08-2015, 10:23 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome & the heads up on the California group
03-08-2015, 07:24 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome! Love the lady bug.

Definitely get to know Lightroom, it's a nice program. I love the organization features as well as the raw conversion features.

The Pentaxian group here in SoCal is a nice group, even if we are separated by long distances and don't manage to get together that often.

My experience has been that the U.S. Pentax site is often a bit behind the time. The Japanese site is normally the best, or else someone here will post the links to the current info.

03-09-2015, 07:06 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the clubhouse!