Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2015, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #1

Greetings from the Pine Barrens

Hey, I live on the outskirts of the South Jersey Pine Barrens. I have been a lurker for a while now, mostly interested in the lens reviews and the Pentax Q boards.

I am actually more of a videographer than a photographer, but a lover of all things photography. Cameras and lenses are such a marriage of mechanical and optical design and industrial art with Pentax and Minolta being the greatest artists.

As I said, I am more of a videographer. I started with cameras by supporting two former girlfriends who both fancied themselves photographers and they were both quite talented. Through them I picked up a little info. It wasn't until the DSLR was being used in filmmaking that I got my first camera. A Canon t2i. Which I still own today, well until I sell it in the next week or two.

I have a limited monthly budget to purchase equipment, so I could not afford the fancy new lenses my friends were buying, so I did the next best thing... Fancy old lenses. And that is where my LBA all began. I was so ignorant on the topic that I purchased almost any brand I could get my hands on for under 25 bucks. I ordered an adapter and then tested it out. My cats have starred in a lot of my lens tests. In fact, I found a NOS Minolta 50mm for 30 bucks and bought it without realizing that it couldn't be used on my t2i. Shortly after, I spent a few bucks out of my comfort zone and purchased a used Pentax-M 50mm 1.7 and a 28mm 2.8. As I awaited the adapters I read everything I could find about Pentax lenses. Anyway, I immediately fell in love with their image quality. To me, the image looked better than the Nikon 50mm Series E lens I bought on the cheap, which I was already pretty impressed with. In fact, if I was able to find a cheaper Series E wide, I probably would have stopped buying lenses. After I got my Pentax lenses I did. And it was my intent to sell all the other glass I had accumulated.

That is until I bought the Canon EOS-M body in the Summer of 13 during the big, price drop. Ever since buying that camera, I have not picked up the t2i. I then had the chance to use my Minolta lens and a Canon 35mm 3.5 lens I bought.

So struck with mirrorless fever, my LBA returned, and I bought a lot of Minolta glass and the cult classic Konica 40mm. I picked up some Nikon AI lenses and some FD's and more Pentax and Minolta and then I did the next best thing...

I read about this tiny, mirrorless camera called the Q7. I read that it had manual video control and manual audio levels. I also read that due to its small sensor, I could use old D mount lenses on it.

What the hell is a D mount lens I thought. Oh yeah, I actually have some of those.

Last summer I realized I needed one, but the price was still a little high, but it looked like it was steadily declining on Amazon and BH. So I'll wait. I patiently waited for this camera to get under 250 bucks, closer to 200 would make me even happier.

Meanwhile, I'll just poke around at some d mount lenses and some c mount Cosmicars. So, I bought a few when some good deals arose. But the camera never dropped to a price point I felt I could justify before being discontinued on BH.

Oh well I thought, I'll just wait for a refurb model or for someone to sell a new one. While I waited I bought a NEX 3n and messed around with that for a while. The 3n is the perfect camera for my MD collection but then finally, two weeks ago, I found the deal I was looking for and I snapped up a brand new Q7 with the lens.

So here I am...

Sorry for the tedious history.

03-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! I love driving through the pine barrens, avoiding the Jersey devil. I look forward to seeing your photos.
03-08-2015, 02:25 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, you've come to the wrong place to LBA cured.
03-08-2015, 06:33 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Welcome! I love driving through the pine barrens, avoiding the Jersey devil. I look forward to seeing your photos.
Thanks, there is something very cool about the Pine Barrens. I think if more people were familiar with it, NJ wouldn't get such a bad rap.

---------- Post added 03-08-15 at 06:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome aboard, you've come to the wrong place to LBA cured.
Haha. I'mat and point now that the empty spaces in my wallet is slowly becoming my cure. My goal now is to replace lenses with better ones. To narrow my fifty, or so lenses in half.

03-08-2015, 06:48 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mercer Quote
I think if more people were familiar with it, NJ wouldn't get such a bad rap.
I tell people that we put the ugliest parts along I-95 to discourage more people from moving in. I show people pictures from down the shore or Liberty State Park, or Skylands Manor and High Point, they don't believe it is NJ. There are a lot of great sights to see, off the beaten path.

I intend to get up there at the end of March, or in April.
03-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I tell people that we put the ugliest parts along I-95 to discourage more people from moving in. I show people pictures from down the shore or Liberty State Park, or Skylands Manor and High Point, they don't believe it is NJ. There are a lot of great sights to see, off the beaten path.

I intend to get up there at the end of March, or in April.
Haha. I always say that once you get below Trenton it is like you are in a different state. There is a small town down the shore called Strathmere, down near Wildwood, they have a bumper sticker that simply reads "SHH, Don't tell anybody."
03-08-2015, 10:45 AM   #7
Pentaxian

miss riding my jeep in those backwoods!!! although I wasn't into photography then but what a place......endless picture taking!! happy shooting
03-08-2015, 05:49 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
miss riding my jeep in those backwoods!!! although I wasn't into photography then but what a place......endless picture taking!! happy shooting
Yes, we used to drive quads back there as kids and there was many of times when I thought I was lost driving through back there as adults.