Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2015, 10:02 AM   #1

Old Pentax User, but new to Forum with questions

Many years ago I was using the MX and ME bodies with a wide range of their K mount lenses. The bodies have since died, but the lenses seem to be living on. 1st question is, What new bodies, if any, will the K-Mount lenses work with. 2nd question is, Does anybody know of a store with Pentax on Cape Cod, Massachusetts?

Any and all help and comments appreciated.

BTW - The Akumalian is on on-line newsletter I wrote in Akumal, Mexico.

03-08-2015, 10:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

welcome to the forum!!! all k-mount will work!! the glory of pentax.......but watch out for the infamous ricoh pin as it has a tendency to get stuck on the camera body! do not know about cape cod
03-08-2015, 10:26 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, good news about the lenses eh?

I'm sure a more local person than me, will be along shortly to help with the Cape Cod store.
03-08-2015, 10:28 AM   #4

What Pentax bodies work with K mount lenses? Short answer: all of them!

I suggest you download the PDF users manual for any body you are considering and check that for specifics. The K-5IIs manual has an appendix showing what functions are usable with what lenses and any caveats. If you have specific lenses you want to use and there is no specific caveat in the manual saying you cannot use it then it will work.

Sorry I can't help on question #2. You can run a dealer search from the Pentax website. And I'm sure you can call Pentax directly to help find a dealer.

03-08-2015, 10:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Akumalian Quote
Many years ago I was using the MX and ME bodies with a wide range of their K mount lenses.
All of those lenses will work with all modern Pentax k-mount cameras. So: k-3, k-5, k-5ii, k-50, k-30 and k-S1 and K-S2 as well as older ones like the k-x and k-r.

Go here for the camera feature comparison: Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-S1 vs. Pentax K-50 - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com
Go here for the lens data base: Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Go here for an explanation of manual lenses on digital bodies: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html
Go here for an explanation of the various Pentax lens series: DSLR Lens Terms and Abbreviations - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
Go here for a history of the k-mount: The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
03-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On Cape Cod? None that I know of, but this shop in Boston had a great selection of Pentax when I visited. https://www.huntsphotoandvideo.com/ It's very close to Harvard .

Using old glass is one of the best reasons for getting a Pentax DSLR. Most of my lenses are old Manual and Pentax-A lenses.
03-09-2015, 06:04 AM   #7

Original Poster
WOW! Thanks a lot.

WOW! This is absolutely fantabulous, and I do appreciate those very helpful and insightful responses. I know I can get bodies over the internet, but I am a traditionalist would like to see and feel my lenses working on a new body before plinking down BIG $$$$.

I have lived in Mexico - on the Caribbean south of Cancun - have had my equipment there, unused for most of that time because of what the salt and humidity does to film. As I said before the MX and ME bodies have passed away, and I am interested on any thoughts about having the lenses looked at - maybe cleaned up - On a casual inspection, they seem to be fine. Any thoughts or suggestions?

03-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Akumalian Quote
having the lenses looked at - maybe cleaned up - On a casual inspection, they seem to be fine. Any thoughts or suggestions?
There is a man who does work like that, Eric. He is based in the US though if that is a problem. Often local camera shops will do a look over on older gear.

But honestly, there is little that can go wrong with those lenses. Check the focus ring and see if it turns OK, if it does I would not waste the money to have them looked at. I've got a number of lenses that are 30 plus years old and work just fine.
03-09-2015, 12:34 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Using old glass is one of the best reasons for getting a Pentax DSLR. Most of my lenses are old Manual and Pentax-A lenses.
When I decided to get back into photography seriously after a long absence those "old lenses" were the reason I jumped back in with Pentax.