Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2015, 11:00 AM   #1

Hello

I am a complete novice in this hobby. I recently purchased a Pentax MX on Ebay. I have a lot of questions. So as not to be a nuisance I would like someone to recommend the best beginners camera book available.

Best regards,
Fonz

04-02-2015, 11:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Camera book or photography book? There is a difference.

For photography a good start is "Understanding Exposure" by Brian Peterson. It is a little dated though the new version has some digital stuff, but the principles are mostly the same from film. He also has "Understanding Digital Photography" which has some overlap but explains things digital much better.

There are also numerous resources online.

For the camera specifically, I do not think there is an MX book.
04-02-2015, 12:53 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the clubhouse!

The MX is a nice little unit. You'll learn a lot here. You can also learn from the other books like the Magic Lantern series for the K7 etc. They cover a lot of the basics, but the specifics are mostly for the DSLRs. They probably would not be my first choice but if you find an inexpensive used one, they may be worth looking at.
04-02-2015, 08:28 PM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome! Don't be reluctant to post your questions here, members are glad to help out. Looking forward to seeing some of your photos!

04-02-2015, 10:44 PM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy both it and your photography.
04-03-2015, 11:08 AM   #6

"The Bare Bones Camera Course for Film and Video" is a great starter book. The book emphasizes the filming aspect toward the end of the book but the first 2/3 of it is all about f/stops, shutter speeds, rule of thirds, etc., etc.

it's by Tom Schroeppel
04-03-2015, 04:08 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Camera book or photography book? There is a difference.

For photography a good start is "Understanding Exposure" by Brian Peterson. It is a little dated though the new version has some digital stuff, but the principles are mostly the same from film. He also has "Understanding Digital Photography" which has some overlap but explains things digital much better.

There are also numerous resources online.

For the camera specifically, I do not think there is an MX book.
Thanks, Actually I meant photography. I will go to abebooks.com to secure both editions.
04-03-2015, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome to the clubhouse!

The MX is a nice little unit. You'll learn a lot here. You can also learn from the other books like the Magic Lantern series for the K7 etc. They cover a lot of the basics, but the specifics are mostly for the DSLRs. They probably would not be my first choice but if you find an inexpensive used one, they may be worth looking at.
Thanks for the suggestion.

---------- Post added 04-03-15 at 07:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jgblodgett Quote
"The Bare Bones Camera Course for Film and Video" is a great starter book. The book emphasizes the filming aspect toward the end of the book but the first 2/3 of it is all about f/stops, shutter speeds, rule of thirds, etc., etc.

it's by Tom Schroeppel
Thanks. I appears I'll be spending a lot of time reading. I appreciate the foundation being provided.

---------- Post added 04-03-15 at 07:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, enjoy both it and your photography.
Thank you.