Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2015, 04:46 AM   #1

Hello From Basingstoke!

Hello everyone

I'm Pixelbug, from Basingstoke, England. Feel free to call me Pixel or Bug if you like

I'm a total newbie to photography. I have a Fujifilm FinePix 4530 that I take snapshots with but I'd really like to learn how to take photos properly and to learn to work with raw.

I've decided that I'd like to get a DSLR and have been mostly set on a Nikon D5300. However I'm severely dyspraxic and therefore very very clumsy and a few people have recommended that I look at Pentax as they're more rugged and can take a bit more abuse than the Nikon. I also heard I can get lenses cheaper by getting an adapter and using film lenses?

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a Pentax camera to look at?

Thank you

04-10-2015, 06:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax KS-2 appears to be a good entry level camera and it is Weather Proof.
04-10-2015, 06:25 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you
04-10-2015, 07:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum pixel! If you don't 'need' a new DSLR there are good used values in the K-30, K-50, K-5 and K-5 II bodies. Yes you can use any old Pentax lenses. Only the older M42 screw mount lenses need an adapter. Otherwise the lenses have the K mount like the new ones. Looking forward to seeing some of your images.

04-10-2015, 07:55 AM   #5
Forum Member

Welcome, aboard.
04-10-2015, 10:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pixelbug Quote
Hello everyone

I'm Pixelbug, from Basingstoke, England. Feel free to call me Pixel or Bug if you like

I'm a total newbie to photography. I have a Fujifilm FinePix 4530 that I take snapshots with but I'd really like to learn how to take photos properly and to learn to work with raw.

I've decided that I'd like to get a DSLR and have been mostly set on a Nikon D5300. However I'm severely dyspraxic and therefore very very clumsy and a few people have recommended that I look at Pentax as they're more rugged and can take a bit more abuse than the Nikon. I also heard I can get lenses cheaper by getting an adapter and using film lenses?

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a Pentax camera to look at?

Thank you
Is there still a Jessop's in Festival Place? When I started my Digital SLR career, I got a K100D from Jessop's branch in Petersfield, long gone now!
The K50 can be had at a great price just now and is an extremely good camera with the Sony 16mp sensor, which has fantastic DR and good high-ISO performance. The KS-2 does have an articulated screen which could be useful though....
04-10-2015, 10:55 AM   #7
Forum Member

Hi from Nottingham. I think the build of Pentax SLRs tends to be better than Nikon. But then tbh the AF is probably not quite on the same level. There's some very good deals on the k5iis and the k50 ATM. Both of which would be a big step up from your Fuji bridge, and give you some pennies left for a couple of lenses.

Or you could opt for the ks2 which is a closer fit to the d5300. Pentax cameras also have two control wheels so you can easily control both aperture and shutter speed. The d5000 series only has one wheel so you'd get more control with the pentax bodies

04-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #8

Original Poster
There is still a Jessops in Festival Place, Stephen. I went in there today and played with the K50 and the KS2 I really liked the KS2 I'm thinking of going for that one. I did play with the D5300 but I didn't actually like it once I had it in my hands. I really like the screen on the KS2, too, especially being able to move it around.
04-12-2015, 12:24 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome, seems your getting lots of good information already, once again welcome.
04-12-2015, 02:10 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you very much!