Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2015, 12:27 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
New to the Forum

Hello, my name is Pete. I owned a Pentax film SLR and had lots of lenses which I thought I might use on my recent purchase of a Digital K20D. I'm having problems with focus. It's hit or miss in any of the settings. I get a 'focus okay' in the viewfinder but the picture is not in focus. Is there a setting somewhere in the menu which can help with the focal point that would give me what I'm seeing (as focused) to make the picture better? I'm trying to read the manual but there is so much in it and I'm a novice to the digital world. Maybe there is something already in the forum that I might read, please direct me to that thread and I might figure this thing out. All my lenses are considered manual and I just purchased the camera body without the lens. Wish me luck please. Thanks to all who might respond. Pete

04-12-2015, 12:47 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, is this with manual focus lenses your talking about or autofocus?
04-12-2015, 01:10 AM   #3

Original Poster
I have four lenses: Albinar 28mm (macro), smc Pentax-M 50mm, Takumar 135mm, Kalimar 28-200mm; they all took sharp pictures with my old Pentax ME Super.
Any of these lenses using the K20D and using various settings just don't come out clear. I see clearly in the viewfinder and the focus indicator shows it's in focus but the pictures are fuzzy. Not blurred, just not crisp & clear. I used a friend's new PENTAX SMC DA 50mm F/1.8 LENS in auto/manual and everything in between and the pictures are very clear and stunning. I plan on getting one of those in the near future but I'm hoping to work this problem out so I can use the older lenses as well.
My friend is also new to the digital age and we are both stumped. Any suggestions to settings would be appreciated. These new digital cameras have more choices than a smartphone (which I don't have) and I'm stumbling around hoping to find the right combination.
04-12-2015, 04:30 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pcdavidson Quote
I have four lenses: Albinar 28mm (macro), smc Pentax-M 50mm, Takumar 135mm, Kalimar 28-200mm; they all took sharp pictures with my old Pentax ME Super.
Any of these lenses using the K20D and using various settings just don't come out clear. I see clearly in the viewfinder and the focus indicator shows it's in focus but the pictures are fuzzy. Not blurred, just not crisp & clear. I used a friend's new PENTAX SMC DA 50mm F/1.8 LENS in auto/manual and everything in between and the pictures are very clear and stunning. I plan on getting one of those in the near future but I'm hoping to work this problem out so I can use the older lenses as well.
My friend is also new to the digital age and we are both stumped. Any suggestions to settings would be appreciated. These new digital cameras have more choices than a smartphone (which I don't have) and I'm stumbling around hoping to find the right combination.
With the M42 lens, Pentax DSLR's can only shoot in either Manual or Av mode. I have the Super-takumar 150mm and the pictures are as sharp as they could be.

04-12-2015, 07:25 PM   #5

Original Poster
My friend just gave me a Ricoh site that explains the proper settings for the K20D using old manual lenses. I missed a lot by fumbling around. I will try it tomorrow. Appreciate the feedback here. This site rocks.
04-12-2015, 07:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian

are you using a high ISO? the noise can take away from the sharpness rather easily....making it grainy and dull
good luck and happy shooting!
04-13-2015, 12:58 AM   #7

Original Poster
Manual Lenses on DSLRs

Here is the best explanation: Using Older Lenses on Pentax K10D, K200D, K20D | Ricoh Imaging Support
I hope everyone finds this useful.
Thanks to all, Pete