Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2015, 06:43 AM   #1

Pentax reborn for me - just saying hi

Hi Everyone,
stumbled across this forum because I had questions about using my old lenses on my newly purchased K50. there seems to be a wealth of information and experienced users here - so I am glad to be wandering around here.

30 years ago I used to use my Pentax SLR everywhere, understood the settings etc.......but eventually it was too much work, with film and processing when you have a small child etc. So I put it down and began point and shoot. The digital SLR has such wonderful advantages and the ability to take multitudes of shots without worries about cost of processing or running out of film - that is like a miracle. The complexity of the digital stuff for this old girl is going slowly.......and what my father taught me over 40 years ago just isn't there anymore!!

Starting fresh, experimenting and learning basic photography again. In Aug my daughter and I travel from Canada through Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Utah and back up through Glacier in Montana. Very excited about that trip and want to record all the wonderful sights. Feels possible, but a little up hill at the moment.

Any good resources on learning basic photography - mainly landscape - are welcome!
Thanks

04-12-2015, 08:28 AM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy that trip later in the year and by then you'll be shooting like a Pro, trust me.
04-12-2015, 09:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard!

Plenty of time to get your head around basic photography before August. How basic do you need to start? There are endless resources on the 'net (and yes, the sheer amount of it makes it hard to navigate...).

Basic exposure tutorial at Cambridge in Colour can be one place to start. And many people find Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" a good read.

Youtube is full of good (and less good) video tutorials. Just search for e.g. "landscape photography composition" and you'll get lots of tips.

Just don't believe them whenever they say you need this or that lens, or some other piece of equipment. None of it will make you a better photographer. Sure, you'll find loads of gear that can be useful if you know exactly how and when to use it, but don't buy anything unless you know why you need it.
04-12-2015, 12:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums. You may be surprised at how fast a lot of it will come back . Especially since you can see the results almost immediately.

04-13-2015, 06:56 AM   #5

Original Poster
thanks for the welcome and the links..........I will take a look after work!
04-13-2015, 10:37 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jules3106 Quote
thanks for the welcome
I look forward to your posting some images from your trip.