Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2015, 12:16 AM   #1

My introduction as a Pentax loyalist.

My biggest dream was to tour Europe, when I was in my early thirties, I got the chance to go. I wanted to come home with something better than the average tourist snapshots. Two of my friends were professional photographers. One was a commercial portrait photographer, the other an art photographer. They agreed to teach me the craft, but I had to commit to using only a completely manual system, so I would have to learn the basics. At the time it meant I would have to make my trip to Europe as a neophyte photographer, not knowing if I would ever get a chance to go again. So it was a big commitment for me to make, but now I am glad that I did.

I got a Pentax K1000, and was given a library of books to read. I went on shoots with both of them, and some with all three of us. Part of my education involved developing the pictures. Over the years, I did get to revisit Europe several times. I ended up working my way up to somewhere between a dedicated amateur photographer and a beginner pro. I had my own darkroom, which was almost exclusively black and white. I never strayed from the Pentax fold, except for a brief flirtation with a Nikon. I think I had almost all models of the Pentax 35mm line, prior to the primarily electronic bodies. My last camera in the 35mm world was the PZ1, which I still own.

I became disabled, and my mobility was such that I had to give up my photography. But I never lost my love for it. I have gone through a long litany of health problems, and nearly checked out numerous times. After a number of surgeries, I am making what the doctor's call a miraculous recovery. They (whoever "they" are) say a near death experience give you a new outlook on the world. At least in my case it has, and I want to visually document it.

I worked in the computer industry almost all of my professional life, so this time around I am going to embrace the world of digital photography. I bought the Pentax K-r body, and through an ordering snafu, ended up with two bodies. My lenses, flash, filters, and such are a combination of new digital equipment and remnants of my 35mm Pentax equipment.

Now maybe that dog-gone "It appears you haven't posted on the forum yet! Why not introduce yourself?" banner will go away.

04-13-2015, 01:09 AM   #2
Tas
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to you and your minions

G'day,

It sounds like you've had a pretty good trip so far even with your troubles, but great to hear you've not given up and choose to jump back into photography. All the best with the new kit, I look forward to your adventures and images. Hopefully soon.

Hooroo for now,

Tas
04-13-2015, 04:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi netbadger, welcome abroad. My compliments for your approach to the things happened to you, something similar happened to me so I know more or less what means.
If you plan to come in center/North Italy just let me know it!
04-13-2015, 06:11 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The things we'll do to get rid of an irritating banner! Welcome!

04-13-2015, 06:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter

A warm welcome from Germany
04-13-2015, 06:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum, that's a great story... and good to know the banner is so effective.
04-13-2015, 10:35 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, great intro and I'm looking forward to your visual documentation.
04-13-2015, 11:35 AM   #8
Forum Member

Welcome!

04-13-2015, 09:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Welcome home!