Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2015, 05:35 PM   #1

Pentax from Atlanta

Hi everyone,
Joined because I want to grow stronger as a photographer, and I've heard it's a good idea to get involved with communities.
Also, for some reason I feel like there's some unspoken bond between users of Pentaxes in a sea of Canon and Nikon. I'd like to be a part of that.

My first camera was a Pentax K1000, I believe I bought it almost two years ago. Really loved the look of film, so I decided to get a film camera.
I initially wanted a Canon AE-1, but I was swayed with the humble K1000s reputation for being an simple, indestructible workhorse.

Enjoyed that thing for a bit, and even took my first photo class with it. Eventually got a 50MM, M 1.7 and a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 macro.
Eventually my local Walgreens stopped developing film, and I was torn between buying my own kit and scanner and making "the switch"

The costs of switching to digital outweighed the costs of staying analog, so in came the K10D I got for a killer deal, last December.
Swapped on my trusty 1.7 and got cracking. Did I mention that the universality of K mounts and Pentax bodies is AWESOME? I love that about these things, man.

I didn't really know anything about adjusting white balances and shooting in RAW, never had to worry about all that (I do now, though). Switched it all to manual with my manual lenses. Would you believe I still have no idea what all those other settings on the dial do other than "B?" Sv, Tv, AF.C, etc. its all still a mystery to me, haha.

But yeah, I'm Kevin, but you can call me Group.
Sorry for the long intro, haha.

04-14-2015, 06:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum, Atlanta has some fantastic sights....

a view from Stone Mountain..
04-14-2015, 06:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My father actually grew up on the out skirts of Atlanta... but I've never been there. North something I think. I've never been there.

Welcome to the forum..... and, you might want to look up AV mode on your dial....you set the Aperture, the camera sets the exposure. The aperture ring will do the same thing it did on you K-1000, only you won't have to dial in the exposure. I taught with K-1000s for 15 years....I miss them. But like you, I can't get film processed, although I am tempted to get some black and white to process at home.
04-14-2015, 06:51 PM   #4

Original Poster
I know of a North Springs, but that's north of Atlanta.
And I've think I've heard of something like that, like "shutter priority," or "aperture priority," I forget which one.

Thanks for the welcome, dudes.

04-14-2015, 11:00 PM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Group Quote
there's some unspoken bond between users of Pentax in a sea of Canon and Nikon
Welcome to the forum, aye it's like at times being cast adrift in a wee lifeboat.