Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2015, 07:37 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4
Looking forward to buying a Pentax for making video

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and this is my first post.

I am looking for trying out some other camera system for making videos. I am not considering Panasonic GH series (too expensive) or any other M4/3 system (the sensor is too small for narrow DOF). Both Nikon and Canon are useless for video (autofocus too slow and noisy), and the key lenses (35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8) are not with stabilization. The whole Sony package is too expensive (very expensive lenses and accessories). Fuji is really bad for video. I also have Samsung gear, but it does not offer 30mm f/1.8/45mm f/1.8 lens with stabilization, and the 85mm f/1.4 with stabilization is too expensive (I do have Samsung 60mm f/2.8 and 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3--both with stabilization, but they do not provide the narrow DOF I like in video).

So..looking for something else to try.....hoping that there is always something good in every system :-), and the in-camera stabilization in Pentax is very attractive indeed. Also the ability to use the heap of old manual lenses on Pentax with in-camera stabilization and focus peaking is a very attractive:-).

I am thinking about buying a used Pentax K-01 mainly for the purpose of making videos (it is not to expensive in used market, and not too big either), but it will be used for some portrait photography as well. Since the decision to buy any camera is a decision to buying into a system, I need some information about the accessories/lens/flash options. Any recommendation for the external mic, and flash (with tilt and swivel)? How is the quality of video, and manual controls over video? Does the camera record focusing sound from the lens or the stabilization sound from the camera? In other words, is it necessary to buy an external mic? How is the focusing speed in video? Any lens recommendation for video use?

Any suggestion/user experience is highly appreciated.

----
First camera: Canon FTB, First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax, First Nikon: F601 (N6006), First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5, First DSLR: Nikon D70, First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

04-21-2015, 08:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter
enoeske's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Surprise, Az
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,887
QuoteOriginally posted by massao Quote
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and this is my first post.

I am looking for trying out some other camera system for making videos. I am not considering Panasonic GH series (too expensive) or any other M4/3 system (the sensor is too small for narrow DOF). Both Nikon and Canon are useless for video (autofocus too slow and noisy), and the key lenses (35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8) are not with stabilization. The whole Sony package is too expensive (very expensive lenses and accessories). Fuji is really bad for video. I also have Samsung gear, but it does not offer 30mm f/1.8/45mm f/1.8 lens with stabilization, and the 85mm f/1.4 with stabilization is too expensive (I do have Samsung 60mm f/2.8 and 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3--both with stabilization, but they do not provide the narrow DOF I like in video).

So..looking for something else to try.....hoping that there is always something good in every system :-), and the in-camera stabilization in Pentax is very attractive indeed. Also the ability to use the heap of old manual lenses on Pentax with in-camera stabilization and focus peaking is a very attractive:-).

I am thinking about buying a used Pentax K-01 mainly for the purpose of making videos (it is not to expensive in used market, and not too big either), but it will be used for some portrait photography as well. Since the decision to buy any camera is a decision to buying into a system, I need some information about the accessories/lens/flash options. Any recommendation for the external mic, and flash (with tilt and swivel)? How is the quality of video, and manual controls over video? Does the camera record focusing sound from the lens or the stabilization sound from the camera? In other words, is it necessary to buy an external mic? How is the focusing speed in video? Any lens recommendation for video use?

Any suggestion/user experience is highly appreciated.

----
First camera: Canon FTB, First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax, First Nikon: F601 (N6006), First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5, First DSLR: Nikon D70, First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11
"autofocus too slow and noisy" -- The Q-S1 is the only Pentax with autofocus during video

"in-camera stabilization in Pentax is very attractive" -- the mechanical shake reduction does not function in video mode
04-21-2015, 09:30 AM   #3
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
"autofocus too slow and noisy" -- The Q-S1 is the only Pentax with autofocus during video

Thanks.

"in-camera stabilization in Pentax is very attractive" -- the mechanical shake reduction does not function in video mode
In all Pentax DSLR/mirror-less cameras?
04-21-2015, 09:33 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 30,608
Welcome to the forum, let other clever folk talk to you about video, I have enough problems with stills.

04-21-2015, 09:34 AM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, let other clever folk talk to you about video, I have enough problems with stills.
Thanks. Ok :-)
04-21-2015, 09:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,795
I was under the impression that K-5 does sensor stabilization during video but if you use the onboard microphone it will introduce noise.
If you have an external recording system then it is OK.
Of all its great features for stills in the cameras, I think many would agree that video is not a Pentax strong suit.

EDIT: however at least one of our users works with K-3 cameras for professional video production

Last edited by crewl1; 04-21-2015 at 10:02 AM.
04-21-2015, 10:00 AM   #7
Site Supporter
enoeske's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Surprise, Az
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,887
QuoteOriginally posted by massao Quote
In all Pentax DSLR/mirror-less cameras?
Yes for the Q-S1. Sorry, I'm not a video person. My K-3 does not use the mechanical SR in video mode. I've heard the K-5 does but I'm not sure if it has the same manual video controls.
04-21-2015, 10:03 AM   #8
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I was under the impression that K-5 does sensor stabilization during video but if you use the onboard microphone it will introduce noise.
If you have an external recording system then it is OK.
Does K-5 has the option to plug in external mic?

04-21-2015, 10:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,795
QuoteOriginally posted by massao Quote
Does K-5 has the option to plug in external mic?
Yes but no headphone out. K-3 has both but currently uses software based stabilization.

You may consider using a separate recorder if you need to monitor the sound, then sync up audio and video in post production.
06-16-2015, 08:47 AM   #10
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 14
I have the K-01 and have used it for video (both manual and auto).

I believe none of the pentax APS-C current cameras have continuous autofocus while shooting. However, at least with the K-01 and newer models you can autofocus by pressing a button while filming and the camera will adjust the focus accordingly as long as you're using an AF lens.

I have preferred overall though to use an old pentax manual lens for video.... it's quieter, less hunting so smoother transitions, but you would have to rely solely on focus peaking via the lcd screen with the K-01, which in bright sunlight can pose problems sometimes. Obviously you could instead pick a pentax model with optical viewfinder to make manual focusing in bright sunlight easier. Alternatively this is a hack some have tried:

The overall image/video quality of the K-01 is suberb and it is such a fun quirky camera to use, small albeit with a solid feature set ie. external audio jack, hdmi out, focus peaking to name a few.

I do however wish Pentax would bring the K-01 into 2015 by adding the following features for a successor:

Wifi connectivity
Video continuous autofocus
Viewfinder (or at least a hot shoe add-on)
Flip screen (being greedy!)
Weather sealing would be great but with these last 2 I'm just being greedy!

This in my mind would represent my perfect camera in 2015: relatively small without compromising image quality, robust, access to all legacy lenses, with current feature set to blow the competition out of the water.

PS. The new K-S2 might be worth a look-in for you has all my "extra features" apart from continuous autofocus, you get a lot of bang for buck - I'm seriously tempted by this beauty!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, f/1.8, lens, lenses, nikon, pentax, samsung, stabilization, system, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking forward to my first DSLR... aaroncgi Welcomes and Introductions 5 12-16-2014 02:30 PM
Hello! New here and looking forward to learning from the gang. Fire Angel Welcomes and Introductions 5 04-30-2014 06:21 AM
Looking Forward to the K5? Rupert General Talk 25 09-10-2010 12:19 PM
Nature Looking forward to spring... whitedog Post Your Photos! 2 01-17-2010 02:18 PM
Film guy & collector looking forward to Pentax PentHassyKon Welcomes and Introductions 2 10-30-2008 09:30 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:48 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top