Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2015, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supportaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yshin621 Quote
Am I a billionare? of course not.. I am a mechanical engineer with a PhD but I barely make 6 digits a year (my wife is a full time mom for 2 boys) which means I can't afford all these by any means... Please help me guys.
As an engineer type, perhaps this might help: Create a spreadsheet. Populate the info on all your gear including the price you paid. Include the price of any gear you have sold. Decide what your budget is that realistically you can spend on stuff. Sum it all up. Before you buy anything new, consult your spreadsheet. If you don't have enough in the budget you must sell an item to raise funds to buy another item. If you make yourself consult your spreadsheet before you buy anything it can help disarm the buying lust and let you make well reasoned decisions.

05-06-2015, 01:32 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jbondo Quote
Create a spreadsheet.
Yeah, spreadsheet is always good to show you where is the gap in your lens collection. Then ebay is good to fill the gap...

I have to admit that my lens collection has overgrown into extension which I couldn't even imagine before. But hey, you earn money and you spend money. I know guys which own several expensive bicycles, which spend huge amounts on expensive wines, which frequently travel to exotic destinations, etc.. Are they wrong-doing? So IMO as long as you enjoy photographing and your lenses, there's nothing wrong with it.
05-06-2015, 04:21 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Naw.....Your just getting started ...... I know a man in Tucson Az that has over 400 Pentax film Cameras and still buying ! Just consider it baby steps and never look back. Play your cards right and at some point it will become self supporting with all the selling and buying !
05-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #19
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Play your cards right and at some point it will become self supporting with all the selling and buying !
In order for that to work one has to sell.

05-06-2015, 04:57 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In order for that to work one has to sell.
Isnt that what we call ..."UPGRADING" ?.....lol
05-06-2015, 05:02 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Oh my, this certainly looks like a mild case of lens addiction, though by the looks of it, you've only just got a mild case. And perhaps even just a scare as a false positive. And I only say this as there are some of us here who have been battling lens addiction for very long times. And who's houses have turned into live-in lens storage facilities.

Just be glad the addiction hasn't reached the point of convincing yourself a 10K vintage lens with an obscure mount is a must have because they are nearly impossible to come by.

PS. I know people who's marriages fell apart due to lens addiction. Only to turn around and claim they couldn't be happier after the fact. :/

QuoteOriginally posted by yshin621 Quote
I have been reading the forum for a long time.. I think since 2007 which is when I first bought my K100D + 18-55 bundle kit from Circuit City for something like 500 then a FA 50 f/1.4 from BuyDig (for 199 then 20 dollar rebate).
Then I realized 50mm was too long for indoor baby shots (my son was born in 2007) so I had to buy a Sigma 30mm 1.4....
Then I did not like sigma results being less saturated than my 50mm (I had/knew no picture editing software then) so I bought a FA 35mm f/2
Then I realized my longest reach was only 55mm so I had to add a FAJ 75-300, new from Adorama...
Then I did not like how soft my first long zoom lens was so I bought a F70-210 from ebay... which was better but I wanted even sharper so I had to shop on ebay for a F 135mm... I still remember the moment I won the auction..
Then I realized (and learned) that the 135 mm will be great on a film body.
It had to be a *ist film body because I wanted the body control to be similar to the K100d body.. I had to spend 120 for the body and something like 30-40 for the battery pack...
Then I did not like how it was flimsy and sloppy - for example when I locked auto focusing with half shutter button then when apply a full button it tried to focus again at wherever the assigned focusing point was aiming at...
So I had to have anothier one.. I found a nice ZX-5 (by the way I loved film photography... I liked the full frame experience to be precise)
and so on and so one... (at some point I had to buy a used Canon 5D and a 135mm F/2.... but I changed my mind and sold them..)

at some point I accidentally obtained a K1000 SE (I found at a garage sale.. with a M 50mm f/2 attached to it)
Then I liked how the M lense focus in my fingers.. My manual lens LBA started then,,, Now I have countless 50mm lenses including A50mm f/1.2/ F 50mm macro, A 50mm macro, Cosina 50mm f/1.2 etc etc... I have all the 3 FA limited lenses of course.... I have a K 28mm F/2 too.. I also have a K 80-210 F/3.5... K 35/3.5 85/1.8 105/2.8 120/2.8 135/2.5 200/4.0...
Bodies? I have 2 super programs 1 LX 2 KM 1 K1000 1 KX 2 MX 1 MEsuper 2 ZX-L 1 ist 1 MZ-s and more...
Am I a billionare? of course not.. I am a mechanical engineer with a PhD but I barely make 6 digits a year (my wife is a full time mom for 2 boys) which means I can't afford all these by any means...
Please help me guys... I am really sick..
05-06-2015, 06:21 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Yeah, spreadsheet is always good to show you where is the gap in your lens collection. Then ebay is good to fill the gap...
As another mechanical engineer, I support this statement.
05-10-2015, 04:03 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Have you ever met a crazy person that didn't know they were crazy ? If they only knew they were crazy they'd do something about it ..... right ?

Realizing that you have a problem is the first step.

Rationalize what you have, and anything that you do not use sell it off.

AND/OR .........

Give some of your income to charities, or buy a shopping trolley of food and give it to a food bank once a month. Thats if your conscience is bugging you about your covetousness.

I too have too much gear and I have to get rid of some of it. I'm happy with most of it, I have almost all the focal lengths I'm after. I've decided I prefer modern lenses over old manual lenses, so I'm not interested in manual lenses.

Anything you don't use anymore, just sell it.

05-20-2015, 04:58 AM   #24
Site Supporter

I'm sure we can help you with your LBA!
05-20-2015, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Sick? You don't even have a Q system!
05-20-2015, 07:32 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Use my excuse, develop number dyslexia/re-sequencing then use it as an excuse to NOT count your gear. Ignorance can be bliss and you always have the "Oh, I didn't know I had collected x amount of gear."
05-20-2015, 07:36 AM   #27
Lens Buying Addict

I long ago gave up worrying about LBA and just decided that Lens & Camera Collecting is my hobby and photography is my other hobby.
05-20-2015, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter

Welcome!

You should probably know that coming here and asking for help with your equipment problem is like going to the liquor store to ask for help with your drinking problem.
05-20-2015, 09:39 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Salut ! And welcome to the clubhouse ...