Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2015, 06:57 PM   #1

Film to digital

I have the following old 35 mm Pentax Camera’s and lenses.I have heard that these lenses can be used with new Pentax Camera backs Pentax 645 d.I have not used this camera and lenses for a long time and wish to know the basics of how to use the lenses with the new digital camera backs and some guide for getting good quality with reasonable price.
My Equipment:
Asahi
Pentax 35mm Spotmatic purchased about 1971
Spotmatic screw on Lenses
Asahi SMC Takumar 1:3.5/35
Asahi Super Takumar 1:1.4/50
Asahi Super Takumar 1:4/200
Pentax 35mm ME Super Back with Bayonet Lens mount (I think it is a K mount)
Sigma Multicoated 1:3.5~4.5 f=28~80mm Zoom
I want to know if these lenses can be used with new camera backs, what are pros and cons and what type of quality and ease of use can I expect, etc.Also are the lenses used with other manufacturers camera backs, etc.?
Thanks
buildernuae

05-04-2015, 07:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

welcome aboard! the k mount will work on any digital k mount of course like k-50, k-5, k-s2 and the screw mount would mount via a m42(if that is the type of screw mount) to k mount adapter......as far as 645 I think that's medium format and do not know the mount type.....a got nice lenses to attach to a digital body for sure....you could prolly find quite a few used on the inexpensive side......but someone will come along with better advice and help ya spend lotsa money!
05-05-2015, 12:10 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.
The screw mount lens that you have listed will function on a DSLR digital body using an M42 to K mount adapter, preferably a genuine one!
The K mount lens will function on the DSLR body without the needs for an adapter.
With the 645 you can use the 645 lens on a DSLR body with the appropriate Pentax adapter, but you cannot use the 35mm lens on the 645 body.
There are several links on the forum regarding the use of M42 and K mount lens on the latest digital bodies.
Hope this helps!

Regards
05-05-2015, 12:21 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Reckon that's the questions pretty well taken care of, so I'll just say welcome to the forum.

05-05-2015, 03:31 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, Welcome. Lot's of us use older lenses with new digital bodies, that's part of the fun and advantage of the Pentax system. I was shooting with a K lens yesterday on my K-3 digital body. It takes a couple of steps more than shooting 'automatic' on a digital camera, but not unlike using a manual film body, in fact a bit easier.
David