Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-07-2015, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

New learner

I am new to Pentax and I have a Pentax XG-1. I started or tried a Canon Rebel T4i, but I ended up giving it to my daughter who has much experience with Canon. I found it to be confusing and overwhelming to me. My daughter suggested to get a camera that is easier to learn with. I looked a several on the home shop channels, and showed them to her. She thought the Pentax would be a good teacher. I have bought it, but it did not come with much accessories. I was wondering if anyone knows of a free download for processing photos. My daughter has helped me get GIMP, but I find this difficult. Is there some where that I can learn in steps? I would also like to say "Hello to all".

05-07-2015, 05:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard!
Does the XG-1 come with a software suite? You can also get some tools with Picassa, which only requires a Google account, IIRC. They probably have some online tutorials for that as well.

Another one I like for freeware is paint.net I don't recall whether it has RAW support (for .dng or .pef files) but it might. RAW is the digital equivalent of a negative, the full-sized sensor image. JPG processing in-camera is pretty good, and for most of your work it's likely to be just fine. The paint.net will allow you to do some basic editing like adjusting exposure, contrast, color adjustment etc.
05-07-2015, 06:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try Faststone. It is free, and when you use it you get just the picture on the screen. Then you can get different menus by mousing to the edges, which is nice and non-confusing. And you can change different aspects of your picture separately from the others, using sliders, and see what is happening as you work.

I use it almost all the time, and very rarely need to use anything else.

And it's free!
05-07-2015, 09:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum! I picked up an advanced camera for the first time in 2013 and fell in love with photography. I'm NOT a fast learner when it comes to tech, so I found it very helpful to take some hands-on introductory lessons at a local photography school. It was a huge help. Do you have an option like that where you live? (Check local colleges and camera stores if a Google search doesn't turn anything up.) Your profile indicates that you're from Maine. Are you anywhere near the location for Maine Media Workshops - they offer some 1-day crash courses as well as longer workshops (do a search for beginner courses - there's one taking place next weekend):
Photography Workshops | Maine Media

I also found Bryan Peterson's Book Understanding Exposure and his online courses really helpful for understanding the principles of photography (not the specifics of your camera):
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Edition-Photographs/dp/0817439390

The online courses cover a wide range of topics - he has a beginner course based on his Understanding Exposure book. The courses are structured with a tutorial that you download or access once a week, and then there's a homework assignment that you get 9 days to complete. You can contact the instructor and other students in the class with questions, and you can see the instructor's feedback on your homework and the other students' homework. It's a great way to learn if there's no school nearby.
www.bsop.com

05-08-2015, 05:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
Welcome to the forum! I picked up an advanced camera for the first time in 2013 and fell in love with photography. I'm NOT a fast learner when it comes to tech, so I found it very helpful to take some hands-on introductory lessons at a local photography school. It was a huge help. Do you have an option like that where you live? (Check local colleges and camera stores if a Google search doesn't turn anything up.) Your profile indicates that you're from Maine. Are you anywhere near the location for Maine Media Workshops - they offer some 1-day crash courses as well as longer workshops (do a search for beginner courses - there's one taking place next weekend):
Photography Workshops | Maine Media

I also found Bryan Peterson's Book Understanding Exposure and his online courses really helpful for understanding the principles of photography (not the specifics of your camera):
Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera: Bryan Peterson: 0884798534707: Amazon.com: Books

The online courses cover a wide range of topics - he has a beginner course based on his Understanding Exposure book. The courses are structured with a tutorial that you download or access once a week, and then there's a homework assignment that you get 9 days to complete. You can contact the instructor and other students in the class with questions, and you can see the instructor's feedback on your homework and the other students' homework. It's a great way to learn if there's no school nearby.
www.bsop.com
Thank you for all the helpful information. I do have the book Understanding Exposure by Bryon Peterson, but have not read it yet. I am also hoping that my local community center will start a Camera Course and Photography Club. If they do not do so soon I am thinking about seeing if I can start the club.
05-08-2015, 05:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bagga_Txips Quote
Try Faststone. It is free, and when you use it you get just the picture on the screen. Then you can get different menus by mousing to the edges, which is nice and non-confusing. And you can change different aspects of your picture separately from the others, using sliders, and see what is happening as you work.

I use it almost all the time, and very rarely need to use anything else.

And it's free!
Thank you for your information. I will check it out.

---------- Post added 05-08-15 at 05:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome aboard!
Does the XG-1 come with a software suite? You can also get some tools with Picassa, which only requires a Google account, IIRC. They probably have some online tutorials for that as well.

Another one I like for freeware is paint.net I don't recall whether it has RAW support (for .dng or .pef files) but it might. RAW is the digital equivalent of a negative, the full-sized sensor image. JPG processing in-camera is pretty good, and for most of your work it's likely to be just fine. The paint.net will allow you to do some basic editing like adjusting exposure, contrast, color adjustment etc.
Thank you for the information. My camera did not come with a software suite. I do have a google account though, so will check it out.
05-09-2015, 02:21 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Loads of good advice already, I'll just welcome to the forum.

05-10-2015, 04:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your welcome!