Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Hello from Fife

Hi all,

Most of my photography in the past, using Pentax ME Supers then P30T's. I like to photograph wildlife and scenery, primarily birdlife. I mostly shot on slide film.

I was really slow changing over to digital, of which I have a lot to learn. In fact there was quite a few years gap where I got by on a small compact Panasonic TZ7, but a few years ago my son and daughter treated me to a K-r with 18-50 and 50-200 kit lenses and the K-r has been my dslr tool since. I also use a Finepix SL1000 bridge camera for a lot of general "happy snappy" use.

However, I have a lot of PK manual lenses (some PKA) which shows my age, which I like to use in manual mode on the K-r. I put a split-screen focus in the K-r which I found helps a lot.

Anyway, I'm glad I have signed up.

Ron

05-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum Ron! Looking forward to seeing some of your images.
05-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #3

Original Poster
Many thanks for the welcome. It will take me a little while to find my way about this site.
05-10-2015, 01:42 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron617 Quote
However, I have a lot of PK manual lenses (some PKA) which shows my age, which I like to use in manual mode
Welcome to the forum, is must be a Scottish thing, all us older glass manual men.

05-10-2015, 02:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I thought it was a Western Washington thing - I'm about an hour from Fife, near Tacoma - but I suspect your coastline and Puget Sound have a tad different look!
05-10-2015, 02:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

welcome aboard....love my k-r! split focusing is very tempting! bet it's awesome!
05-10-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I'm about an hour from Fife
Aye I'm only an hour and half away, but maybe not the same one...

05-11-2015, 01:05 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks lads, your welcomes are all very much appreciated. Yes MY Fife is the Scottish one, although all the others across the globe will be descendants of it!

Kerrowd I just love the Highlands and west coast of Scotland. You are very lucky to be where you are, wherever that is up north!

Aaron, when I got my K-r I had difficulty getting sharp focusing when using my old PK manual telephoto lenses on it. I used to hate the old split-screens on my old ME Supers and P30T's because unless it was really bright, half the split screen image blackened out, making focusing tricky. However, I saw this as the only way that I knew to improve things so I bought a cheap Chinese" focusing screen via ebay and inserted it in my camera. It has proved to be a big improvement for me. If/whenever I get another Pentax dslr camera I will budget for getting a more professional split screen put in it. The fact I can only use my old lenses on manual mode is not a drawback for me. I mostly used my old film cameras in that mode anyway. My mind thinks old style camera use. I have a lot of problems trying to understand digital terms and often ignore them.
05-11-2015, 02:24 AM   #9

Original Poster
I have posted an album of some of the photos I took during a recent visit to The Bass Rock (Firth of Forth, Scotland), showing some of the bird life there.
05-11-2015, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum
05-11-2015, 06:28 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard! I had a split-screen in my K10 but haven't installed one in the K5. It is fun to use these cameras in manual.
05-11-2015, 12:50 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron617 Quote
You are very lucky to be where you are
I am very lucky... to be where I am on the shores of Loch Ness.
05-11-2015, 03:05 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I am very lucky... to be where I am on the shores of Loch Ness.
The prime location for photoshopped pictures..............Lol!
05-11-2015, 04:05 PM   #14
Pentaxian

ok neat....nice that the screen worked for you in that fashion......I love using the old crappy glass I have acquired (on the cheap) and the pics I get with them.....the tinkering with settings is fun/challenging for me and when I choose something close to a good exposure to begin with is rewarding( like I am learning or know stuff!)
05-11-2015, 11:19 PM - 1 Like   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
ok neat....nice that the screen worked for you in that fashion......I love using the old crappy glass I have acquired (on the cheap) and the pics I get with them.....the tinkering with settings is fun/challenging for me and when I choose something close to a good exposure to begin with is rewarding( like I am learning or know stuff!)
You sound very similar to myself. I like playing around with archaic glass, the stuff that I couldn't buy back in the early 80s but which can be bought relatively cheaply today.As long as you get fun out of it...what the heck!