Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2015, 05:58 AM   #1
Forum Member

Zen, sake and prog rock in middle age

Saying hi from Japan. Although I am an older guy I have only just recently got into DSLR photography. Bought my first Pentax, a K30, abut 18 months ago. Like nothing better than putting on the MP3, listening to some Yes or Zappa and wondering the streets in search of zen, sake and perhaps a couple of photos! I have managed to start a small collection of lenses including DA21, DA35 2.4, DA50 1.8 and a SIgma 17-50 2.8. Love the Sig but it can be a bit cumbersome at times so I often just have one of the primes on the camera. I seem to use the DA35 the most.

In terms of photography I love the work of Moriyama Daido.

Looking forward to chatting with you guys

I have a Flickr page - not sure where to put this on my profile so I'll just post it here in case anyone is interested.

Cheers

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jamstairs/

Last edited by Alnjpn; 05-12-2015 at 07:23 AM.
05-12-2015, 06:15 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We must be from the same "Era " !!

Welcome aboard ... you certainly will enjoy this with lots of great members, ideas and .... of course: Pictures !

JP

BTW.: I have just checked your Flickr pictures: very nice images from your country.
05-12-2015, 06:48 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome and the kind words JP. Glad to hear there is someone else here from the same era
05-12-2015, 07:20 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I'm pleased to say that you must be even older than me, but unfortunately not by much.

05-12-2015, 04:18 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome Kerrowdown. I see you are in the Highlands - one of the most beautiful places in the world!
05-12-2015, 04:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

welcome aboard! Pink Floyd for me preferably pre-darkside stuff
05-12-2015, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
welcome aboard! Pink Floyd for me preferably pre-darkside stuff
Year of Woodstock - 1969 - and this across the pond:

05-12-2015, 06:53 PM   #8
Pentaxian

wonderful! the album that bought me back to music and my love for early Pink Floyd! grand chester meadows, the narrow way and the entire live side of the album posted

05-12-2015, 11:56 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome Aaron I know what you mean about the pre-Dark Side stuff. For me I would stretch it to include Wish You Were Here, my first Floyd album, and I also have a soft spot for Animals . and nice post by JP. I haven't seen these guys before but they certainly nailed that. If you are into cover stuff check out the Pink Floyd Tribute band - these guys are outstanding.
05-13-2015, 02:16 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard!
I haven't developed a taste for sake, but for zen I practice Kyudo and for prog rock I lean more toward modern exponents like Muse and Karnivool. I confess to a big Floyd soft spot though - DSOTM, WYWH and The Wall are masterpieces, and I saw Roger Waters perform the latter a few years ago.
05-13-2015, 04:51 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Aln, Welcome, I enjoyed your photos, as I have visited Japan quite a few times.
In your honor, I started "Frank Zappa Radio" on my Pandora.
05-13-2015, 05:30 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum.

My prog rock tastes favor the mid-career work by bands. King Crimson's 1980s and early 90s stuff with Belew, Levin, of course Fripp, and other rotating members. Genesis as a 4 piece band (after Gabriel though still with Hackett) was near perfect but that configuration only lasted 2 albums. Plenty of others, too.
05-13-2015, 06:54 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Genesis as a 4 piece band (after Gabriel though still with Hackett) was near perfect but that configuration only lasted 2 albums.
"A Trick of the Tail" and "Selling England by the Pound" are my favourites. I think Peter Gabriel was still in the band then.
05-13-2015, 07:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Well, I prefer The Moody Blues to Yes and Bowie to Zappa, drink Coke rather than Saki, but otherwise I getcha, smile.. Hullo!
05-13-2015, 09:04 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
"A Trick of the Tail" and "Selling England by the Pound" are my favourites. I think Peter Gabriel was still in the band then.
Selling England by the Pound
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
[Peter Gabriel leaves]
A Trick of the Tail
Wind & Wuthering
[Steve Hackett leaves]
And Then There Were Three

IMO Peter Gabriel had 2 shortcomings in Genesis - he sometimes seemed more interested in being avant-garde than in being a musician, and due to shyness hid behind costumes that threatened to overshadow the music - issues that vanished as he matured. Much of his solo work is genius.

The core of Genesis for me is the songwriting of Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford. Hackett is a vastly better guitarist than Rutherford, though, and he adds a lot to the Trick and Wind albums.

---------- Post added 05-13-15 at 12:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
...Bowie...
He's so good that nothing more needs to be said. We can close the thread now