Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2015, 04:22 PM   #1

Hello from Ohio

Hello everyone, I am just beginning to embark on the journey of photography with the new K-S2 and the kit 18-50mm and 50-200mm lenses. I am interested in shooting landscapes, portraits, wildlife near my house, and my wife and her figure skating students at the ice arena. It's been challenging determining the right settings for shooting on the ice, and I think I definitely need a faster lens to get the look I am going for, but here are a few of the shots I have managed to make look decent. Please let me know about any helpful advice you may have as I find my way to pro-quality photos.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
05-13-2015, 05:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums Nice set of photo's to introduce yourself with
05-14-2015, 03:07 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I do hope the lassie in the last image is supposed to be sitting there on the ice... perhaps at the beginning or end of a routine.
05-15-2015, 04:02 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pic-nic Quote
It's been challenging determining the right settings for shooting on the ice, and I think I definitely need a faster lens to get the look I am going for
Welcome to the forum. I see you joined the Dayton, OH group. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have.

With the high ISO capability the newer cameras, you don't always need a "faster" lens. Your EXIF data shows that you are using ISO 640. Don't be afraid to increase the ISO (1600 or more) so you can shoot at a faster shutter speed (1/500 second or faster) to eliminate motion blur. Then it's just a matter of removing some of the ISO noise in post processing.

Tim

05-15-2015, 07:20 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you all!

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, I do hope the lassie in the last image is supposed to be sitting there on the ice... perhaps at the beginning or end of a routine.
yes, that is how her program ended. I guess the picture left that sort of open to interpretation, haha

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Welcome to the forum. I see you joined the Dayton, OH group. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have.

With the high ISO capability the newer cameras, you don't always need a "faster" lens. Your EXIF data shows that you are using ISO 640. Don't be afraid to increase the ISO (1600 or more) so you can shoot at a faster shutter speed (1/500 second or faster) to eliminate motion blur. Then it's just a matter of removing some of the ISO noise in post processing.
I just discovered the noise reduction tool in the camera raw filter in photoshop. I was desperately trying to keep the iso under 400 because everything looked so grainy before I knew about that method. I ordered an adapter for a few old minolta lenses my late grandfather passed on to me, it should be here soon. The 50mm 1:1.4, a 28mm 1:2.8 plus a teleconverter; it should be rather interesting to see the difference a wider aperture will make.

Are there any other good ways to reduce high ISO noise besides in camera raw?
05-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pic-nic Quote
Are there any other good ways to reduce high ISO noise besides in camera raw?
Many post-processing programs (I use Paint Shop Pro) have noise removing abilities. It is always a delicate balance between motion blur and noise when shooting in low light. I rather have some noise and get the shot than no noise and motion blur ruins the shot (not all motion blur is bad if it is "planned"). As for faster glass, the depth of focus on a 50 f1.4 is pretty small and it is not easy to get the focus exactly where you want it when there is fast action.

Here are a couple of high ISO shots with the noise reduced.

ist DS @ ISO 3200

K-r @ ISO 8000

K-r @ ISO 6400

Would I print these as 11"x14" prints to hang on the wall? Probably not but they work very nicely for posting on the web.

Tim