Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2015, 10:04 AM   #1

Finally back in the game...from LX to K3

Hi Pentaxians,
I'm back in game with a K3. I put away my Pentax film cameras back in 2003 when I got into the Canon G series to take pictures of my young kids and more easily share digital photos with family. Now building up an auto focus lens collection to go with my K3 for taking family portraits and kids sports. Back in the late 90's I followed motorsports and would travel to auto races around the US as I could afford to for personal travel. I shot with an LX and Super Program and a compliment of Pentax "K", "M" and "A" lenses ranging from 24mm to 400mm. For motorsports, I shot mostly with a "K" 300mm and a 70-200mm "A" zoom. For family, I shot with a 50mm K 1.4 and 85mm M 2.0. Kind of funny reading threads about LBA these days. I had it back in the day with manual lenses. I ended up with many lenses that I really didn't use...but thought I just had to have. After reading how great the K3 was back last fall, I ordered one with a 20-40mm limited zoom and a nifty fifty. Now its LBA all over again with auto focus lenses...

Cheers,
Eric
from Austin, TX

05-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome back and thank you for the interesting introduction.
05-16-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! Gee, I hope you held on to those older lenses. A lot us use them with our Pentax DSLRs. Looking forward to seeing some of your images.
05-17-2015, 05:50 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by esmith904 Quote
Now its LBA all over again with auto focus lenses...
Welcome here, LX to K3 it's quantum leap time...

I do hope you kept all your original glass, as you can be all hip and trendy and recycle them for re use on the K3.

05-17-2015, 11:41 AM   #5

Original Poster
I still have all the Pentax glass, bodies, flashes, hoods from back then. I was a kind of Pentax collector/hoarder and was waiting until Pentax had a killer digital body to come out to tempt me into buying my first DSLR. Every few years I'd think about my Pentax stuff and poke around the web and read what folks were saying about the latest Pentax DSLRs. Last summer I got to reading up on Pentax again and read folks saying how great the K3 is as a state of the art APS-C....that finally tipped the balance to push me to buy one from B&H last fall. Since then, I've been fiddling around with my old favorite manual lenses...especially the M85/2... but I for sure have to work harder to get a good picture with the manual ones. I'm really falling hard for the FA and HD limiteds. I have the 15/4.0 and the 20-40 zoom now with 35/2.8 just purchased on ebay last night. Next on the radar is FA 77mm. Mostly these days, I shoot portraits of kids and kitties around the house.

Here's some sample pictures from back when I was doing motorsports photography as a hobby from 1995-2001. No fancy processing here...just department store bulk packs of Kodak & Fuji film processed at Walmart on the cheap. These are flat bed scans of old 8X10 Walmart prints from a few of my favorite shots. Back then, I had to travel far outside of the state of Texas to find the kind of racing that I liked (sports cars, F1, Indy). Now that we have a world class road course in Austin, I'll have to take the K3 out to the local F1 track and practice with my manual tele lenses after a long hiatus.

First two taken with Super Program and K 300/4.0
1. Esses at Road Atlanta - 2000 Petite Le Mans
2. Indy Car race Houston, TX 1998, JJ Lehto driving Indy Car for Hogan Racing
Remaining track photos taken with Super Program and SMC-A 70-210. The Mercedes garage shot was probably with a prime lens...maybe SMC-A 50/1.7...guessing
3&4. Ferrari 333SP at Sebring, Florida 1997 (beautiful spray from the rain coming off that car)
5. Mercedes garage at Sebring, Florida 1997
6&7. Fire breathing BMW M3 at Road Atlanta - 2000 Petite Le Mans

Eric
Attached Images

05-18-2015, 06:15 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard, that's quite a history.