Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2008, 08:47 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hi

I am new to photography in a way as I have only just purchased a new DSRL camera (PENTAX K200D).I have some equipment ,but am looking to make the most out of my upcoming holiday to Las Vages and Canada B.C. Can I get some ideas as to what I should get in the way of lens filters and cleaning equipment.

Body : Pentax K200D
1st lens : Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC Macro
2nd lens : Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro
2 x 4GB SD cards
Tamrac 3340 carry bag

If I could get some help please.

06-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Evil_Robot_santa Quote
I am new to photography in a way as I have only just purchased a new DSRL camera (PENTAX K200D).I have some equipment ,but am looking to make the most out of my upcoming holiday to Las Vages and Canada B.C. Can I get some ideas as to what I should get in the way of lens filters and cleaning equipment.

Body : Pentax K200D
1st lens : Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC Macro
2nd lens : Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro
2 x 4GB SD cards
Tamrac 3340 carry bag

If I could get some help please.
Welcome to the forum. To really let you know what you should purchase, we need to know what you plan on taking pictures of. As you can see in my signature, over the last 47 years I have collected quite a bit of gear. The items I own are used by me and/or my wife frequently.

I think your kit is quite good for the proposed trip here. It is a good start. You might want to get a circular polarizing filter to fit the 17-70. It is a very handy thing when you want to control reflections on lakes and/or enhance the blues in the sky.

Enjoy your trip to BC
06-09-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter

As a initial purchase, you seem to have done just fine. I have the 17-70 and really like it. The major other item I can think of bringing with you is a couple of spare battery sets- depending on how you will be shooting and your proximity to a charger, 2-3 spare sets would be good.

I am of the camp that uses filters on the lens for protection (not trying to start a war, just my opinion, please). If you nose around, you will find this is often an hot topic. In my case, I have a 3 yr old and a 6 yr old that like to see what daddy is doing, so I would rather have them mess up my 30-50 dollar filter rather than my 400 dollar lens. Just my feeling...

As far as what, I use basic clear or UV0 filters for protection, and also use a polarizer as Canada_Rockies suggested - sky, and reflection. Probably of some use, depending on your photo type would be a neutral density or a graduated neutral density for evening out exposure in landscapes and tough brightness situations. But that may depend on your shooting style.

Welcome to the group and hope your trip goes well!! You must post share photos when you get back!
06-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome!
For a beginner setup, I agree with everybody else that has posted that you've got a good setup in the way of lenses. A couple of things that you should consider getting that haven't already been mentioned are:
1. an air blower like this one:
Giottos | Rocket Air Blower - (Small) 5.3" | AA1920 | B&H
Even with a dust sensor, the camera needs to be blown out every once in a while. All you do is to take the lens off, hold the camera lens-side down, put the blower underneath the camera in the lens area, and blow several times. That'll get the vast majority of dust off your sensor and help keep the dust UFOs from showing up in your pics.
2. To save some money on filters, get a 58-72mm step-up filter if you think you might want to use a polarizer, ND, or some other filter on your 55-300 besides the UV filter.

Another thing I thought of is that I noticed that you only have a couple of 4GB SD cards on hand. Depending on how long your trip is, you might consider picking up a couple more, as it's better to have too much than not enough. In a pinch, you can always find a drugstore like Walgreens, CVS, or RiteAid, among others that has film developing and burn your images onto a CD-ROM if you run out of space on your memory cards, tht way, you can reformat your memory cards and use them again without having to buy more.

HTH,
Heather

06-09-2008, 06:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks guys this info is realy going to help me as I am going to be away for 5 weeks. Today I purchased UV filters for both lenses, but am having trouble knowing what tripod or monopod to that away with me. I know that some are bulky and hard to carry around. Could anyone suggest a good lightweight option that's also compact. I have limited good camera stores in my city that might stock better brands so It is likely that I may have to purchase one online or when I am In Las Vegas.
Again thanks for the help
06-09-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Wouldn't happen to be a Futurama fan, would you?

You're pretty well covered in the zoom range stakes - just too bad they're Sigmas .

Get yourself a fast fifty as well for low-light work. The Pentax FA50mm f1.4 should be the best, but it's best to wait until you get to the US to buy this stuff.

I don't like specifically made camera bags, as they tend to scream "CAMERA BAG: EXPENSIVE GEAR INSIDE," so if you can, get smaller bags that fit inside a larger non-descript bag, that'd be better.

And grab a heap of Varta 15min rechargeable AA's.