Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2015, 11:41 AM   #1

Auto 110

Greetings to this forum,
Received my Auto 110 purchased from Ebay a few days ago. When this camera was released in the 70s I was a high school student and considered myself a serious photographer with my Nikon F and handheld light meter, of course I scoffed at anything 110. Although I'd have never admitted it at the time, When I first saw this little Pentax in "Modern Photography" was instantly smitten, had I been able to afford it I'd have most likely purchased one (it's small size would have made it easy to hide from equally pretentious contemporaries). Stumbling on a picture of one of these after all these years reminded me how much it had actually fascinated me, and decided I'd really like to have one. Compared to the original asking price, they are nearly giving them away, so with a blast from the past hit of nostalgia clicked a Ebay buy it now button. I think this little guy is going to be a lot of fun.

05-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, it will be interesting to see what the little fella can do.
05-17-2015, 01:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Have you solved the film availability problem?

Film in all sizes is becoming rare.
05-17-2015, 06:07 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
Film in all sizes is becoming rare.
I just ordered two 3-packs of Lomography Color Tiger 200 ISO 110, I had never heard of Lomography before, but if they have brand new film I'll certainly give it a try, I saw someone else's result and was very respectable, a little heavy on the saturation and contrast and I'm fine with that for what I have in mind.
Btw, I saw in another thread someone had gotten a chuckle that there was a ebay auction for a auto 110 and had listed it as medium format, of course while that isn't technically correct, it's not entirely wrong either.

Remember those disc cameras? my little brother actually had one and it produced the worst color prints I have ever seen.

05-17-2015, 07:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Getting the film might still be easier than getting it developed unless you're willing to send it out or do it yourself. I could not get 110 film developed here to save my life. I can barely get 35mm film developed now. I've resigned myself to shooting digital almost completely now until I can move back out West where supplies are far more common and finally put together a lab room of some sort myself. I simply do not have the room for that here, nor can I rent one unfortunately. At this point almost every developing lab in town has closed and the one that remains is getting so little business for that that they are seriously considering closing the lab part of the business and just being a commercial print shop now, doing just signs and the like. Apparently at this point they get more work doing that and graphics than they do developing. They don't even touch 110 processing though, only 35mm.
05-17-2015, 11:01 PM   #6

Original Poster
having to send it out for processing is something I fully expected, I think there are 2 places in Seattle (35 miles) that will deal with it, but honestly just paying the postage and mailing it I'm time and money ahead. Utmost practicality isn't going to be this camera's strong suit.
05-18-2015, 05:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Hi Riverside,
The Micro4/3 (M4/3) is same size as the 110 frame
So you could consider adding an M43 mirrorless body to your system and getting a Pentax 110 to M43 adaptor.
Superseded M43 are cheap.
That way you are able to enjoy the lenses on the frame size they were intended for.
05-23-2015, 09:47 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Hi Riverside,
The Micro4/3 (M4/3) is same size as the 110 frame
So you could consider adding an M43 mirrorless body to your system and getting a Pentax 110 to M43 adaptor.
Superseded M43 are cheap.
That way you are able to enjoy the lenses on the frame size they were intended for.
That is an intriguing possibility, go modern and retro at the same time and get some additional mileage from the vintage glass. I am completely unfamiliar with Micro4/3 gear, are there any "superseded" models that are particularly sought after?

05-24-2015, 06:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Riverside Quote
I am completely unfamiliar with Micro4/3 gear, are there any "superseded" models
https://app.box.com/s/db2d50c7edecf721ca74

I use an Olympus E_Pl1. It is old now but I don't see any need for a high performance camera on the Pentax 110 lenses.
Look for a "like new" or "open box" deal
05-27-2015, 05:02 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Don't forget that we have the Q system now!

Thanks to the wonder that is eBay, I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of a Q7 Premium Kit myself.
05-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Riverside Quote
That is an intriguing possibility, go modern and retro at the same time and get some additional mileage from the vintage glass. I am completely unfamiliar with Micro4/3 gear, are there any "superseded" models that are particularly sought after?
Well, when it comes to M43 I'm very partial to Olympus Pens, in particular to the E-P3. It is a fabulous camera. There's a lot of models of Olympus Pen cameras out there but I think this one is a great buy for what it goes for. You can pick up a used body for like $200 sometimes less. I've got 2 and several adapters. I had an E-PL 1 too for a while but one of my nieces has that now. It was okay but I definitely prefer the E-P3's. It's pretty much got everything I want from a M43 camera and they are tons cheaper than the current models. I have AF lenses too now, but I still like to use old primes on them. It's a great combo. I can do almost everything I can with a DSLR but with a much more portable camera.

I'd show you but I'm in the middle of redoing The Bling Things. (My E-P3's.) All that work gluing Swarovksi onto the skins was for naught it seems. When it got really warm here I suddenly had trouble with the skins I put my crystals on sliding around and with the glue I used also peeling off. I'd go to use one and suddenly I'd be dropping crystals all over the place. Obviously the so called "best" glue for this ISN'T in this climate. I took all the bling and the bad skins off for now. I'm going to try some new skins from someone else and some Gem Tac and see what happens.

I'm going to use a few directly on the chassis above the skins and see if they will stay on. It won't be quite as cool as what I intended but I don't intend to spend 2 weeks a pop redoing them again. So it's minimal crystals until I know that the glue can hack the heat. I put a lot of work into those only to have the heat totally wreck them. I am so pissed, but then again, who knows, maybe it will work out for the best. The skins are nice looking, faux croc in 2 colors that match 2 of my CC straps. Re-working things might be cool...

Last edited by magkelly; 05-28-2015 at 06:26 PM.