Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2015, 08:34 PM   #31
Pentaxian

good deal!

06-11-2015, 09:10 PM   #32
Emperor and Senpai

I'd run the 64gb card for RAW and the 32 for JPEG in the K3. Sounds like a decent kit. You will enjoy it and I imagine the 18-135 will be on your camera more often than not too.
06-11-2015, 11:27 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fcweissbach Quote
I did it!

So here's my haul:
Pentax K-3 (used)
Battery Grip (used)
Pentax 18-135mm lens (used)
Pentax 40mm XS lens (used from these forums)
Sigma 70-300mm (used from these forums)
Lenspen and a cheap cleaning kit
Understanding Exposure book
64GB and 32GB SD cards
Sunpak Tripod
Case Logic Sling bag
Watson spare battery

All for ~$1,150. I bought a lot used and stretched my budget, but I think this will hold me over for a while.
So much great advice, help, and offers from this forum already. Super antsy to get this thing and start the obsession.

Thanks for all the help.
Well done you should be extremely happy with that haul it should keep you out of trouble for awhile or get you into more 😜 just remember we are here to help and no such thing as a stupid question can't wait to see your first shots
06-19-2015, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #34

Original Poster
I've taken photos over 4 days. I didn't know which sub-directory to post to, so I'm posting here and you can guide me where to have the photos criticized so I can get better. I've set as many settings as I can to Manual (usually auto-focus). My subjects have been dogs and people (lots of storming here in Houston). I picked my 5 favorites. No post processing on anything yet.

My questions
- What should I setup with my K-3? Any particular settings that are a standard?
- What's the best way to switch lenses to ensure everything stays clean?
- Do I need to calibrate the camera often?

Day 1 photos
Day 2 photos
Day 3 photos
Day 4 photos

Thanks!!!!!

06-19-2015, 09:33 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So now you need an off-camera flash, and you need to play with post-processing. I recommend that you download Faststone to begin with, because it is free.

BTW, some of your shots in the first four days are very good indeed!
06-19-2015, 10:18 PM   #36
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've taken photos over 4 days. I didn't know which sub-directory to post to, so I'm posting here and you can guide me where to have the photos criticized so I can get better. I've set as many settings as I can to Manual (usually auto-focus). My subjects have been dogs and people (lots of storming here in Houston). I picked my 5 favorites. No post processing on anything yet.

My questions

Day 1 photos
Day 2 photos
Day 3 photos
Day 4 photos

Thanks!!!!!
Very nice.

When focusing on people (portraits) make sure the camera's focus is on the eyes.. you pretty much always want the eyes as the sharpest part of those images.

The easiest way, well for me at least, to learn how to use the camera in terms of framing and focus was to set the camera to center focus point (which means only the autofocus point in the middle of the viewfinder is used), aim that point directly at the part of the scene I want to be the sharpest, hold the shutter release button down half way to get the camera to autofocus, then (while still half holding the button to keep the focus), recompose the scene (move your view to the correct space you want to photograph) and then press the button down fully.

It reads like a lot but it is really really easy and quick to get.

I've used this method on everything from still objects to fighter jets at airshows. It probably would be awful for capturing birds in flight though (not enough time to grab a small object moving all over the place). However, this method should work for the majority of your images as a quick and easy way to frame and get the focus correct.

Oh yeah... and if you shoot in DNG (RAW format), you can bring out a lot of details that you can't otherwise in a JPG (correcting white balance, pulling out more details from shadows, etc). The downside is you will need to buy a software processing application to take your DNG and convert them into something you can see. hehehe yet another expense! Throwing out names: Adobe Lightroom, DxO OpticsPro, and PhaseOne Capture One are some of the bigger names for this. there are, of course, freebies too... but ymmv with them... I'd recommend a commercial title still... all three named I believe have free trials.
06-20-2015, 02:15 AM   #37
Veteran Member

My questions

Day 1 photos
Day 2 photos
Day 3 photos
Day 4 photos

Thanks!!!!!
Well I think you have done really well. I wouldn't worry about an external flash just use your pop up for the time being that is a whole other game.
Ok lens change - ideally have your body facing downwards and your lens upwards to attach but in all honesty I change mine body standing upright and lens horizontal.
Just make sure it isn't screwed in cross threaded.
A good sight is DP School hang on and I will find the sight for you

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/
06-20-2015, 03:08 AM   #38
Site Supporter

Auction looks good. Plus. there's always ebay buyer protection.

06-20-2015, 06:17 AM   #39

Original Poster
mee -
Makes perfect sense. I've had my focus on the auto focus on the 27 point or whatever, I'll try the single center point.

I intend on getting Lightroom eventually, may start off with something free or the Pentax provided software first until I get the hang of it. A lot more to learn for sure.

I shot (accidentally) in raw, but converted to jpeg. It wasn't until after I converted them all manually that I noticed the camera shoots one in JPEG and one in RAW.

Thanks for the help so far
06-20-2015, 02:44 PM   #40
Veteran Member

mee -
Makes perfect sense. I've had my focus on the auto focus on the 27 point or whatever, I'll try the single center point.

I intend on getting Lightroom eventually, may start off with something free or the Pentax provided software first until I get the hang of it. A lot more to learn for sure.

I shot (accidentally) in raw, but converted to jpeg. It wasn't until after I converted them all manually that I noticed the camera shoots one in JPEG and one in RAW.

Thanks for the help so far
I eventually made it to Lightroom nearly 12 months after getting my camera took a online course to learn how to use it 😀 I probably fall into the old school and believe in saving time by getting a good shot to start with now before everyone bags me my theory behind that is learn what a good photo is ( I am still doing that &#128512 then you can apply that in production. Without a doubt a great program and I use it way more than photoshop.
06-21-2015, 08:56 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

With single point focus, in AF.S mode you can set your focus point, then move the camera to frame however you want. The focal plane won't shift. It takes a little practice.
Of course, you can always crop to get the view you want, too.
06-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Also, try to find the threads about back-button focussing. I use that all the time, coupled with centre-spot only focus point, and it works a treat.
06-21-2015, 03:54 PM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Afternoon, Just about any modern DSLR will serve you well. It's nearly impossible to make a bad selection. Nearly any comparison can be skewed to any desired result. Having said that, here are a few points - since you asked...[LIST]
Also, with more resolution (megapixels) it provides additional cropping options - in order to print or view just what you are interested in (within an image). With the K50 at 16MP you can print excellent prints at 20" x 30" large. Another side issue with more megapixels is noise (which looks like grains of sand in the image). The more resolution, the more pixels, the smaller the pixels, the more closer together they are, that generates noise from one pixel to another. Pentax's K50 (and K30, K500, K5, K5II and K5IIs along with the K-01) all use the Sony 16MP sensor, which is wonderful with noise. It is a bit less nosier than the K3's ( at 24MP) sensor under ISO 3200 (which is essentially the photographer's setting the sensors sensitivity to the light, where the lower the ISO the better the image quality). Bottom line is that Pentax tends to put more features in their models across the board and tends to charge less.
Thanks for such a wonderful and deep insight on camera details. How does Pentax K-S2's sensor fairs against the K-50 and K-3's
06-21-2015, 08:41 PM   #44

Original Poster
I stepped down the K3 to 16MP. Now does this effectively have the same noise as the K50 at 16MP, or is it inherent in the sensor itself?