Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2015, 09:11 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

One more thing. Pick up a copy of Petersen's book "Understanding Exposure". It's a great reference to learn the exposure triangle.

Second, shoot some shots (they won't be very good) and post them on the forum, and folks will tell you how to improve.

06-07-2015, 10:58 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fcweissbach Quote
Okay, I think I'm sold! Does anyone see any issues with this auction? Cosmetically the camera looks great. I'll pull the trigger and pickup some stuff like cleaning kits and a bag from B&H after it goes through.

Thanks again. Can't wait!
Looks pretty good I would be curious of the shutter count but regardless looks well looked after. Definately a cleaning kit cannot stress enough and a spare battery or battery grip Until you get used to exposure ect recommend shooting on the AV dial. Plenty of understanding help here. So excited for you I wish I had of went the k-3 to start with you wont look back.
Also read the users manual and play with your camera whilst doing it, it will allow you to understand a little better but as most things as with photography it's a need to know basis
06-08-2015, 08:44 PM   #18

Original Poster
This community is really the most helpful I've been involved in. Really securing my decision to go Pentax.

I've lost 3 auctions the past 24 hours on the last second. Hopefully I can secure one in my budget before my trip with a little time to play with it.

Thanks again.
06-08-2015, 10:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

This community is really the most helpful I've been involved in. Really securing my decision to go Pentax.

I've lost 3 auctions the past 24 hours on the last second. Hopefully I can secure one in my budget before my trip with a little time to play with it.

Thanks again.
Not to panick with the k-3ii out, there will be plenty up for sale. Nothing like getting to know your camera on the fly 😀 no better way of learning than using. Keep an eye here on items for sale from members here too. I think Adorama or maybe B&H has a second hand site most camera places deal in second hand cameras so don't just limit yourself to eBay. Best of luck

06-09-2015, 12:20 AM   #20

Hey maybe I got something for you... I went from K5 to K3 this year. I was always very happy with the K5... maybe this would be something for you. I just realized I still have the K5 camera body and not doing anything with it. It is in pretty good condition. I have not considered selling it before, so I don't know the value...I'd say something like 300 $ Write me a message if you are interested. I learned a lot on this camera...not my first Pentax though, but I think it might still be suitable for Beginners. Let me know if you are interested...
I started out with the standard kit lenses as well and I think something versatile like the WR 18-135 is a very good choice for beginners.
Pentax SMC Pentax Da 18 135mm F3 5 5 6 Ed Al If DC WR Excellent N 468 | eBay

pair this with a prime for lowlight situations like this
Pentax SMC Da 50mm F 1 8 Lens 22177 New 027075217607 | eBay,
should get you covered for a start...
06-09-2015, 05:25 AM   #21
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/297274-sal...dy-extras.html

Not sure on your spend allowance but listed here on Pentax Forum
06-09-2015, 01:47 PM   #22

Original Poster
Both very good deals! Maxriess, the K5 deal is very fair. How much does the K5 differ from the K50? Would it still be worth upgrading to a K3?

I got an offer for a K3 + 18-135mm + the 50mm prime + battery grip, all mint with original boxes, shipped for $950. That'll give me a little room to get SD cards, spare battery, tripod, case, and that book.

Thinking about pulling the trigger and never looking back.

06-09-2015, 10:56 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Both very good deals! Maxriess, the K5 deal is very fair. How much does the K5 differ from the K50? Would it still be worth upgrading to a K3?

I got an offer for a K3 + 18-135mm + the 50mm prime + battery grip, all mint with original boxes, shipped for $950. That'll give me a little room to get SD cards, spare battery, tripod, case, and that book.

Don't forget your cleaning kit and lens pen even before the book 😃
06-09-2015, 11:47 PM   #24
Forum Member

Hey how are you? I don't mean to hijack your thread but I think I am selling my K-50 with the kit lens 18-55, 50-200, 50mm prime, AF 200 G flash and a tripod bag and an sd card all complete with all boxes, just PM me if you are interested. RFS don't have enough time to use it, its just laying inside my closet.
06-10-2015, 05:36 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

That's a pretty good deal, all around. It will do you for a long while, and let you figure out what else you'd like to do with the K3.
06-11-2015, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #26

Original Poster
I did it!

So here's my haul:
Pentax K-3 (used)
Battery Grip (used)
Pentax 18-135mm lens (used)
Pentax 40mm XS lens (used from these forums)
Sigma 70-300mm (used from these forums)
Lenspen and a cheap cleaning kit
Understanding Exposure book
64GB and 32GB SD cards
Sunpak Tripod
Case Logic Sling bag
Watson spare battery

All for ~$1,150. I bought a lot used and stretched my budget, but I think this will hold me over for a while.
So much great advice, help, and offers from this forum already. Super antsy to get this thing and start the obsession.

Thanks for all the help.
06-11-2015, 10:39 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All for what a new body alone would have cost. Have fun!
06-11-2015, 10:48 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Man oh man, it was only a little over a year ago I paid more than that for my K-3.
06-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #29

Photos: Albums
I picked up a K50 kit a few weeks ago after having used a Coolpix 300 for a couple of years. I am still learning the ins and outs of the camera, but thus far, I have been super impressed and glad I made the choice instead of a Nikon or Canon. Furthermore, I had to call customer support at Pentax, to get some part number for compatible batteries and remotes, and they were very patient and helpful.
06-11-2015, 08:21 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Man oh man, it was only a little over a year ago I paid more than that for my K-3.
+1 on that.
A great buy and a very nice starter kit.