Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2015, 03:25 PM   #1

New Pentax K-50 disapointment

Not sure what is happening but have had my K-50 a month and having issues not sure if the battery is not holding a charge. but twice now the camera will not turn on pull out the battery and it works but now it won't turn on. Bought at Micro Center they won't touch it at after 14 days. Heard that the Pentax repair place has issues.
Suggestions Anyone
Thank You

06-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since you're still covered under warranty I would send the camera in. There's nothing wrong with Precision, they're just a bit pricey for some repairs and can be in short supply of parts for older/less popular lenses.

Are you sure it's not a battery issue, though? The battery takes several hours to charge.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-08-2015, 03:51 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
I know nothing about your camera, so I'll just say welcome to the forum and good luck getting your issues resolved in a timely manner.
06-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #4
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Flounder Quote
Not sure what is happening but have had my K-50 a month and having issues not sure if the battery is not holding a charge. but twice now the camera will not turn on pull out the battery and it works but now it won't turn on. Bought at Micro Center they won't touch it at after 14 days. Heard that the Pentax repair place has issues.
Suggestions Anyone
Thank You
How are you charging the battery? And what indicator are you using to tell you the battery has completed charging? Is this the stock battery that came with your K-50? Have you tried a different battery unit?

06-08-2015, 04:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Try updating firmware before anything else. And maybe clean your battery contacts.
06-08-2015, 05:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Your first resource is the dealer where you bought the camera. Any reputable dealer will replace a failed camera or piece of kit within 30 days.

Your second resource is Ricoh/Pentax support. They can assist you and may be able to send you a replacement battery if that is needed. They may also ask that you send the camera to their service center, Precision Camera, in Connecticut. Depending on the nature of the problem as reported by Precision, Ricoh will opt to repair or replace.

Yes, there are horror stories on this site regarding Precision. That being said, my experience with them on a warranty camera repair (K-50) this last Winter was positive overall. The main issue was getting Ricoh to authorize payment. After that, the process was fast and efficient. Good luck and welcome again to the Pentax Forums!

Steve
06-08-2015, 05:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Try updating firmware before anything else. And maybe clean your battery contacts.
Not a good idea if there are issues with battery condition or state of charge. The camera is new and the OP should be talking to the dealer or Pentax before trying any home-brew solutions.

Steve
06-09-2015, 01:38 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just on a side note, since I read some of the manual before actually using my K-50. It says specifically that you should never store the battery in the camera, as it can cause problems with the battery. Basically, you only have the battery in the camera if you are going to use it. Keeping the battery in the camera will cause it to slowly drain down, and possibly damage the battery. If you have just been keeping the battery in the camera this entire time, I would guess that right there is your problem.

06-09-2015, 02:33 AM   #9
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HeavyCorPhotography Quote
Just on a side note, since I read some of the manual before actually using my K-50. It says specifically that you should never store the battery in the camera, as it can cause problems with the battery. Basically, you only have the battery in the camera if you are going to use it. Keeping the battery in the camera will cause it to slowly drain down, and possibly damage the battery. If you have just been keeping the battery in the camera this entire time, I would guess that right there is your problem.

The manual states, "If the battery is left inserted and the camera is not used for a long time, the battery will over-discharge and shorten the battery's life."

'for a long time' is crucial -- of course what does that mean? I take it as to mean months without usage. I don't think one needs to remove the battery from their camera if they are using it every couple of weeks. Surely not weekly. That would probably just wear out the battery bay by removing it constantly otherwise.
06-09-2015, 03:21 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The manual states, "If the battery is left inserted and the camera is not used for a long time, the battery will over-discharge and shorten the battery's life."

'for a long time' is crucial -- of course what does that mean? I take it as to mean months without usage. I don't think one needs to remove the battery from their camera if they are using it every couple of weeks. Surely not weekly. That would probably just wear out the battery bay by removing it constantly otherwise.
A long time could mean more than 6 months or a year... I don't think I would take the battery out of the camera it is not used for less than say 6 months. Unless the camera is stored in a very humid and hot environment, I would still keep the battery in the camera. The normal discharge or slow drain of the battery should be fine and besides, I think it will keep the camera custom settings (clock, time zone etc.) in place which otherwise would be erased.
06-20-2015, 03:13 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Suggestions Anyone
Thank You
Factory battery or after-market? Check it with a spare battery before doing anything else. Next, do not - repeat - do not do a firmware update unless you have a fully charged, healthy battery in the camera. Sounds suspiciously like a battery probem you have there.
06-24-2015, 09:20 AM   #12

Interesting, I always leave my batteries in the cameras.. and yes, sometimes for months at a time. I feel naughty now

On that note, time to actually read the manuals
06-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron_Man Quote
Interesting, I always leave my batteries in the cameras.. and yes, sometimes for months at a time. I feel naughty now

On that note, time to actually read the manuals
Don`t feel too bad, taking out the battery will result in killing the small keep-alive battery that holds time and date.
The Pentax battery is good for months when left in camera.
To OP, make sure that you let the OEM Pentax battery to charge fully!
06-26-2015, 09:24 PM   #14
Site Supporter

I do believe the OP has said their piece and decided to move on.

Steve
06-27-2015, 12:49 AM   #15

Suggestions Anyone
Thank You
i have bought 3 Pentax cams since 2009..one online and 2 from the store..ALL 3 were on sale!..ALL 3 had spots on the sensors..so beware of "on sale" Pentax cameras..was it "on sale"???..