Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2015, 11:22 AM   #1

Bought a k50 last week

Hello all,

I just bought a k50 from Amazon with the 2 lens kit. I'm a college student and I love the outdoors, especially while off-roading in my jeep. This is my first big step up from my iPhone camera so I'm excited to learn a lot haha. I'm pretty active on jeep forum so I knew I needed some forum help for my new hobby.

Thanks in advance for the answers to my noob questions.

06-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
congrats and welcome

I've had my K-50 for about six months and noticed yesterday over 6100 shots with it.....
06-15-2015, 01:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard! This is a very useful forum.
Remember the search function in a forum is a very powerful tool.

And the Marketplace is where you go to break your budget when you have leftover money from your Jeep Addiction.
06-15-2015, 02:49 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome aboard! This is a very useful forum.
Remember the search function in a forum is a very powerful tool.

And the Marketplace is where you go to break your budget when you have leftover money from your Jeep Addiction.
I have learned how to use the search tool quite well in my other forum adventures. Already looking through some landscape lens threads. I expect my interaction with the forum will be more comments/improvements on my pictures.

Oh and there usually isn't much money left over after the jeep, the mountain bike, now a camera.... I'm in trouble.

---------- Post added 06-15-15 at 02:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
congrats and welcome

I've had my K-50 for about six months and noticed yesterday over 6100 shots with it.....
I can't wait to get mine out and find something cool to take a picture of. I'm home in michigan for the summer which has its own beauty, but I'm really after the beautiful scenes of the Rockies. I go to school in Utah and love making trips to Moab, St. George or just the mountains around me.

06-15-2015, 02:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cloughstuff Quote
Already looking through some landscape lens threads. I expect my interaction with the forum will be more comments/improvements on my pictures.

Oh and there usually isn't much money left over after the jeep, the mountain bike, now a camera.... I'm in trouble.
Welcome!, This forum tends to shorten the learning curve quite rapidly. You made a good choice with weather resistant gear (assuming you have WR lenses), a real good choice with off-roading. Make sure you turn on the electronic level for landscapes, it really helps keep you straight! You will get a lot of suggestions for more gear here too, but take a couple of months before you jump into other lenses, etc. You already know what to use a forum for, so you're a step ahead of many.
06-15-2015, 03:09 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Welcome!, This forum tends to shorten the learning curve quite rapidly. You made a good choice with weather resistant gear (assuming you have WR lenses), a real good choice with off-roading. Make sure you turn on the electronic level for landscapes, it really helps keep you straight! You will get a lot of suggestions for more gear here too, but take a couple of months before you jump into other lenses, etc. You already know what to use a forum for, so you're a step ahead of many.
Thanks!

Yes the weather resistance lenses and body were a great selling point to me. I also read the review on the k50 which had some great tips on settings I should be using, such as the electronic level.
06-15-2015, 05:19 PM   #7

Original Poster
The Jeep

06-16-2015, 05:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Jeep
That's a great color on the classic Jeep.

Have you needed that winch yet?

Oh, get out in some of the reconstructed prairies back in Michigan, you'll find lots of stuff to photograph. Go early. Drive yourself mad chasing dragonflies.
06-16-2015, 07:14 AM   #9

Original Poster
That's a great color on the classic Jeep.

Have you needed that winch yet?

Oh, get out in some of the reconstructed prairies back in Michigan, you'll find lots of stuff to photograph. Go early. Drive yourself mad chasing dragonflies.
I've used the winch a handful of times.

And yes there will be plenty of pictures to take here in Michigan, but this is what I'm really into. Taken with my iPhone 5s
06-16-2015, 07:35 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, that's probably more fun than mud in the jeep. Personally, I'd lean more toward rally racing as a hobby but I don't need another hobby, particularly a car-related one!

Looks like a helluva lot of fun. Just stick to the trails, the wildlife has enough problems in those areas!
06-16-2015, 07:46 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum...
06-16-2015, 08:02 AM   #12

Original Poster
Yeah, that's probably more fun than mud in the jeep. Personally, I'd lean more toward rally racing as a hobby but I don't need another hobby, particularly a car-related one!

Looks like a helluva lot of fun. Just stick to the trails, the wildlife has enough problems in those areas!
A lot more fun than mud. I would love to be in WRC. I think after a summer making some money I'll blow most of it on a week long rally course where they teach you how to drive sti's how they are meant to be driven. Pretty much anything with a motor I love. Another dream is to race in the Baja 1000.

And I hear you on sticking to the trails. It's hard enough to keep the ones we have open.
06-18-2015, 01:58 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome aboard, I'm sure there's got to be a way to combine the two interests... perhaps with a wee profit.
06-18-2015, 04:50 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome aboard, I'm sure there's got to be a way to combine the two interests... perhaps with a wee profit.
Combining them is really what got me interested in the first place. But that is a good question. How does one really start selling their work?
06-19-2015, 02:21 AM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
How does one really start selling their work?
Work it out which shots you would like to have of your Jeep, chances are that others would like the same of theirs, almost a captive market.