Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2015, 09:48 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 7
Hello from Ohio

Hi everybody, I'm a newbie looking to get my first Pentax camera. I'm currently looking at the K3. I want to get into storm photography which would include lightning shots at night. A professional storm chaser friend of mine recommended a Sigma 10/20 lens for wide angle pics. Any thoughts on steering me in the right direction? He currently is using a Canon 6D and has 4K wrapped up in his setup and he suggested Pentax which was his first camera.

06-27-2015, 09:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,807
Unfortunately I can't think of even one weather sealed WA lens. The K-3 will be good. The Sigma 10-20 is good too. I also like my Sigma 8-18 and Pentax 10-17 fisheye...but I'm guessing the 10-20 will be better for what you're doing.
06-27-2015, 10:00 AM   #3
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 7
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Unfortunately I can't think of even one weather sealed WA lens. The K-3 will be good. The Sigma 10-20 is good too. I also like my Sigma 8-18 and Pentax 10-17 fisheye...but I'm guessing the 10-20 will be better for what you're doing.
OK thanks, as far as being weather sealed I'm not to concerned with that as I'm not planning on standing in the rain but you never know, I wouldn't let it stop me from getting a good shot
06-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Aaron28's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Huntsville, Al
Posts: 1,070
welcome aboard! your friend has steered ya in the right direction!

06-27-2015, 10:30 AM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 7
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
welcome aboard! your friend has steered ya in the right direction!
Thanks, yeah I trust his judgement. He mentioned the K50 to but said the K3 is a great camera. I was more worried about the lens to get the best wide angled shots I could get.
06-27-2015, 12:11 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 32,634
Welcome to the forum, be a storm chaser rather than storm standing in it person and getting soaked, then the WR nature of the WA is not quite so important.
06-27-2015, 12:30 PM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 7
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, be a storm chaser rather than storm standing in it person and getting soaked, then the WR nature of the WA is not quite so important.
Yeah I chase to and want something more than just taking pics on my phone,that Loch Ness pic is really nice!
06-27-2015, 12:51 PM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 32,634
QuoteOriginally posted by posa Quote
that Loch Ness pic is really nice!
Thanks very much.

06-29-2015, 02:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter
jcdoss's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kansas City, MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,911
Welcome aboard! Wherebouts in Ohio are you located?
06-30-2015, 07:37 AM   #10
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 7
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Welcome aboard! Wherebouts in Ohio are you located?
Thanks!, Haskins which is about 20 miles south of Toledo
09-15-2015, 04:42 PM   #11
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elida, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,622
QuoteOriginally posted by posa Quote
Thanks!, Haskins which is about 20 miles south of Toledo
Wow, you're probably a pretty good area for storm chasing, it's so flat and windy up there. If you are still looking don't get too hung up on wild angle, you may want to get a closer look at some of those storms and a telephoto lets you do that while also compressing the scene for dramatic looks. I'm about an hour south of you in Elida, welcome aboard.
09-16-2015, 06:00 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
TER-OR's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dundee, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,828
Welcome from Chicago!

My parents grew up in Fremont. Definitely good storms along that area, it's flat enough to get a good vista.
The Sigma 10-20 is nice but also consider the Sigma 8-16 which you can get used for roughly $500. It has a very special rendering which gives a sense of scale and grandeur.

The K3 is a great choice, too. You'll have all the technical tools you need at your disposal. You can also get smartphone-based remote controls so you can set the camera on a nice tripod and control without touching.
09-18-2015, 06:29 AM   #13
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 7
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Wow, you're probably a pretty good area for storm chasing, it's so flat and windy up there. If you are still looking don't get too hung up on wild angle, you may want to get a closer look at some of those storms and a telephoto lets you do that while also compressing the scene for dramatic looks. I'm about an hour south of you in Elida, welcome aboard.
Thanks, yeah it's definitely flat, can see for miles. I didn't get anything so I'll keep that in mind

---------- Post added 09-18-15 at 06:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome from Chicago!

My parents grew up in Fremont. Definitely good storms along that area, it's flat enough to get a good vista.
The Sigma 10-20 is nice but also consider the Sigma 8-16 which you can get used for roughly $500. It has a very special rendering which gives a sense of scale and grandeur.

The K3 is a great choice, too. You'll have all the technical tools you need at your disposal. You can also get smartphone-based remote controls so you can set the camera on a nice tripod and control without touching.
Fremont gets their fair share of storms for sure. I definitely need a trigger for lightning shots. I will look into both lenses. Thanks for the advice.
09-19-2015, 12:51 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,542
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF !

Hope to see some images soon ... Salut, J
03-23-2016, 07:55 AM   #15
Site Supporter
OhioAngie's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 98
Welcome from another Ohioan ;-)
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, fremont, pentax, sigma, storm, storms, thanks
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello from Ohio ptz55 Welcomes and Introductions 5 11-24-2015 04:55 PM
Hello from Ohio blueheron90 Welcomes and Introductions 5 05-15-2015 09:17 AM
Hello From Ohio :D betarepeating Welcomes and Introductions 8 05-11-2015 09:28 AM
Hello from Ohio! burritobabe Welcomes and Introductions 4 02-24-2015 05:02 AM
Hello from Ohio rschuldl Welcomes and Introductions 8 02-04-2014 03:27 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:10 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top