Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pozdrav iz Bosne (greetings from Bosnia) !

Hi

My name is Sasha. I'm come from north part of Bosnia and Herzegovina, just across Bosnia-Croatia border.

Love photography, but never got time (and money) for something serious. Two months ago, I have bought S/H k200d with kit lens. My first DSLR.
It has less than 3.000 shutter count on body.
Recently, I've also bought a Pentax-A 50mm 1.7 lens. Very nice, indeed, but it will take some time to learn how to use manual focus
Regards to all Pentax lovers
Sasha

06-29-2015, 01:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Zdravo Sasha! Welcome to pentaxforums! Congratulations for your purchase. The K200D is an older body, but still very capable, perfect for learning and experimenting. Top LCD, weather resistant (if you fit a WR lens on it). 3000 Actuations is almost like new
Witch kit lens did you got? The "plain" 18-55?
The Pentax-A 50mm f 1.7 is a fine lens! Manual focus is not easy - but you can try focus trap (I don't recall the exact settings in custom menu, but the principle is that you fully press the shutter button and turn the focusing ring smoothly, the camera will fire only when you reach the focus) - try to do a search on the forums, I'm sure you will find a better description.
Hope to see some pictures from your beautiful country soon! Dovidenja!
06-29-2015, 01:38 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, once you've learnt how to nail the manual focus, photography becomes a real joy with the added extra dimension, but then I'm a tad bias as I don't own any of this Pentax AF malarky.
06-29-2015, 01:51 PM   #4

Pozdrav iz susjedstva Saša.

06-29-2015, 02:26 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone.
Kit lens is 18-55 mark II. Don't know if any difference to mark I. It's good for portrait but that's it.
50mm is really capable of producing of some beautiful pictures, but it's not easy to get it in focus.
Pozdrav susjedu.
06-30-2015, 05:38 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from Chicago!

Research "Catch-in-Focus" which really helps with manual lenses. Also, the green hexagon in the viewfinder will confirm focus whether you have an AF lens or MF.
You can also look into swapping the focus screen if you're feeling adventurous. You can use the old-style split-focus screens which make manual lenses easy. I had one in my K10, it worked very well.
06-30-2015, 01:05 PM   #7

Original Poster
Greetings to Chicago. Hometown of company(Wrigley) I work in.

I do understand what is "catch in focus", but if it's not too much trouble to explain what is split focus screen?
07-01-2015, 05:38 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Demo of Split Screen and Microprism Ring Focusing in Old SLRs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focusing_screen

Back in the manual-focus SLR days the focus screen contained microprisms. You'd adjust focus until the image aligned itself, confirming focus. With autofocus there are a lot of focus points so that made the split-screen redundant and inefficient. However, it's still a useful technology if you prefer manual lenses. There are a few companies which sell custom-cut focus screens or you can buy an old SLR and cut the screen yourself. You may need to add custom shims to space the screen correctly in the focus screen frame.

One might not think so when getting into the hobby, but these DSLRs are actually pretty customizable, both with settings and hardware.

07-01-2015, 08:16 AM   #9

Original Poster
Crazy. I've completely forgotten about that. I can remember that from my friends old dslr. But I didn't know how it works. Thank you very much.
« Hello | hello »