Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2015, 08:16 AM   #1
Oricman

New to k30

I've recently purchased a k30 with WR kit lens and the 55-300 telephoto.

Previously used Panasonic FZ150 another superzooms. Used to use Minolta SLR film cameras.

Find the Pentax needs a lot of work to get in focus. Trying to update firmware and see if I can improve things with different settings. I have used my partner's Canon 500D which seems a lot easier to use. Also images are coming out a bit dark when taken in sunshine. Not sure why - so many options to tweak!

07-03-2015, 08:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

welcome aboard! sounds like a nice kit......not sure about the focusing deal (maybe back button will help (ae something) but the dark images happens to me if I have changed the metering from average to spot and mess things up quickly
07-03-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Post a couple of photos (with EXIF intact) in this thread and the help will flow.
07-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
He started a post here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/223890-problems-k30-af.html#post3302465

07-04-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
Oricman

I seem to have got some good shots with the kit zoom but the telephoto one doesn't want to give me sharp images. Attached hopefully is a picture from the 55-300 zoom. It is very nearly sharp, but just a bit off. It seems to be off at all zoom lengths and I can't get a crisp image.
I printed out a focus chart and took a shot on my tripod with a 2 second timer delay. I've had several attempts at this and can't get a clear image. All my telephoto zoom shots are coming out soft.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
07-04-2015, 10:29 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, sorry I can't help with you focus issues as I'm a prime manual man, but someone will be along shortly hopefully with some suggestions.
07-05-2015, 11:58 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Repeat the shots in Live View, Oricman, and see if you get the same results.

If they're better, you need to add back/front focus correction for that lens in your menu settings.

07-05-2015, 03:21 PM   #8
Oricman

It's not much different. I've got some improved results with a weighted tripod and setting the av -3 . (Just guessing.) It seems a little better but still not getting a sharp image.

I'm guessing It's partially camera shake. The 300mm does stick out a long way. But there seems to be something wrong with the lens.

(Images from my Panasonic are sharp at a longer focal length though it is physically shorter and easy to hold. I think the image stabilizer is far more effective than the Pentax's shake reduction, so I'm probably partly to blame. I should be able to get a shot or two in focus with a tripod though!)
07-05-2015, 04:20 PM   #9

First question - did you have an Oric home computer ;-) ? I did and still have it! I've had several of the lower level model Pentax DSLR's after coming from a Panasonic superzoom as well. I had those two lenses on my K30 and never had any of the issues you are having. How far away from that flower were you? I'm assuming you weren't inside the minimum focus distance? If that's the best you can get I would think the camera has a major focusing fault. Hand held I would expect at 1/300 of a second to get most in focus with SR on and that is a very sharp lens in its price range.
Dave
07-06-2015, 11:02 AM   #10
Oricman

I have many Oric computers. (We have a group on Flickr now.) I used to help with the user group and have accumulated a lot of Oric stuff.

I'm not certain of the distance - somewhere around 3 or 4 meters at a guess. The camera can focus with the 18-55 kens. I've not had much joy with the 55-300.
I've tried the focus chart with several adjustments to AF settings. (Are their front and back adjustments? I can only find the one. ) The adjustments don't seem to make much difference - I'm not sure what that says.

(Shot taken with kit lens.)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
07-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Oricman Quote
I've recently purchased a k30 with WR kit lens and the 55-300 telephoto.

Previously used Panasonic FZ150 another superzooms. Used to use Minolta SLR film cameras.

Find the Pentax needs a lot of work to get in focus. Trying to update firmware and see if I can improve things with different settings. I have used my partner's Canon 500D which seems a lot easier to use. Also images are coming out a bit dark when taken in sunshine. Not sure why - so many options to tweak!
Welcome! I just started using a K-50 after coming from Olympus cameras and I had some dark photo issues too. I believe both Panasonic and Olympus default to lock exposure on the half press of the shutter button. The K-50 does not and needs to be set to do that if that's the way you shoot. I always use the center focus point and recompose so I was accidentally metering for the new composition. I don't have the camera in front of me, but it was an easy setting to find if I remember right. It looks like the k50 and k30 are similar cameras. Good luck!
07-08-2015, 05:39 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The front/back adjustment should be in the manual it's a +/- setting but I have to review to see which is which.

You'll want to do the yardstick test at 45 degrees or something like that with a tripod to really home in on the correct setting. My new 55-300 required a lot of adjustment, the old one which got destroyed was spot-on.
07-08-2015, 05:43 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
The front/back adjustment should be in the manual it's a +/- setting but I have to review to see which is which.

He's getting the same results in Live View, though.
07-08-2015, 05:51 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
He's getting the same results in Live View, though.
Oh, I suppose I skimmed over that in the reply. Yeah, then it's the "other" issue.
07-09-2015, 04:42 AM   #15
Oricman

Seems the lens is duff. I'm getting a partial refund on the sale and have ordered a new lens.

How do you set front and back settings? I did notice a light exposure difference between live view and VF.

I did LV and VF changing the AF setting from -10, -7 - 5 - 3 0 +3 +5 +7 +10 with no noticeable difference. Not sure what the setting does - does it move the sensor or change the focus point? Would have though something would have changed. I may do this with the kit lens just to see what happens, but it takes a while and wears the battery down.

BTW any preference for spare batteries? I noticed with the one I got that the power wasn't as high as Pentax one.