Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2015, 08:00 AM   #1

Hello! Another new guy with a developing film habit. (Excuse the pun)

I've been lurking here for awhile because I have always dug Pentax, and I finally decided to take the jump and try out film photography. I found a couple old SLR's, a Pentax ME and I got a broken K1000 for $10 (because if I can fix it, great! And if not, it's only $10. So far I haven't been able to fix it... lol).

I've been super excited to try out film, the last time I shot film was 20 years ago when I was a kid, using a Pentax something something. (I was 10, my memory is a little hazy on the model. lol)
I've shot a bit with the ME, which is great. I've tried fixing the K1000 but the film advance mechanism is stuck (In a different way than you commonly see. There's a movie of it on youtube if anyone's an amateur K1000 technician!).

I wanted to blatantly show off some of my photos but I don't have any of my film stuff up yet because I haven't figured out how to "scan" with my digital camera yet, so I'm just going to share one of my favorites and hopefully get the hang of getting my negatives on my computer without paying $7/shot for medium res scans!

If anyone wants to check out my motley flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/damienlphotos/ (Be warned though, there are occasional shirtless people and a lot of political protests that might irk some people!)

07-05-2015, 03:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, good to have you on board.
07-07-2015, 07:42 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I wish that our car wash facilities looked a bit more like yours, that's some good imagery going on there.
07-10-2015, 03:43 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, I wish that our car wash facilities looked a bit more like yours, that's some good imagery going on there.
Thanks for the welcome!

Kerrowdown: Me too. Pride fundraisers sure make for good photos!

07-10-2015, 05:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really nice work! A very hearty welcome to you, and it's awesome you want to work with film!
07-10-2015, 06:14 PM   #6
Forum Member

Welcome. I went all digital in 2007 then came back to film in 2012. Lately I've been shooting more film than digital since I started developing my own B&W 3 months ago.
07-11-2015, 07:20 AM   #7

Original Poster
tlong423: Thank you! I have always liked film but digital was just so much cheaper, until recently I realized that with film I can get a "full frame" camera for a hundred bucks - and the negatives are future proof! I won't look back at them like I do with my first DSLR (A Canon 350d in 2005) and think "Man I wish I could go back in time and retake that photo with a better camera...". Haha

TheLens: What made you come back? And just out of curiosity, do you shoot more B&W because you started your own darkroom, or did you start your own darkroom because you shoot so much B&W?

07-11-2015, 07:00 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DamienL Quote

TheLens: What made you come back? And just out of curiosity, do you shoot more B&W because you started your own darkroom, or did you start your own darkroom because you shoot so much B&W?
I came back to film because I really missed using the old gear. I started shooting more B&W when I became able to develop it myself.