Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-05-2015, 06:06 PM   #1

New from northern Michigan

Hi everyone! A couple weeks ago I bought a K-50 and couldn't be happier with the camera. I wanted something that could withstand the cold, snowy winters here in northern Michigan and the K-50 seems like the perfect camera for me. I love roaming around Leelanau county looking for new things to photograph. I'm new as a member but I've been reading all the great info on Pentax Forums for a little while now. I want to thank everyone for sharing all their knowledge on this site, I would have been lost without it!

07-05-2015, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #2

Hi and welcome.
I use my k-50 here in new Zealand for winter hikes up in the southern alps.
It's been perfect. Hope you get as much enjoyment from it as I get from mine.
07-05-2015, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Plaidshirt Quote
Hi everyone! A couple weeks ago I bought a K-50 and couldn't be happier with the camera. I wanted something that could withstand the cold, snowy winters here in northern Michigan and the K-50 seems like the perfect camera for me. I love roaming around Leelanau county looking for new things to photograph. I'm new as a member but I've been reading all the great info on Pentax Forums for a little while now. I want to thank everyone for sharing all their knowledge on this site, I would have been lost without it!
We're on the way back from Benzonia and South Manitou Island as I write. The K-50 will be perfect for your needs. Incredible barns, architecture, and landscapes are so prevalent up your way.PF is great resource with many helpful folks. Welcome.
07-05-2015, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

cool beets! welcome aboard...the K-50 should serve you well

07-06-2015, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You'll want to get a spare battery or two, that's the only really vulnerable thing in the cold. Keep a spare in a warm pocket to swap once the cold one stops responding.
07-06-2015, 01:32 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johngs Quote
Hi and welcome.
I use my k-50 here in new Zealand for winter hikes up in the southern alps.
It's been perfect. Hope you get as much enjoyment from it as I get from mine.
Thanks! For some reason I love being out in the bitter cold on the shore of Lake Michigan in the winter. Sounds like the camera will be perfect. I would love to make a trip to New Zealand one day it looks beautiful.
07-06-2015, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #7

Come on down. I'll show you around!
What lenses did you get with the camera?

07-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
We're on the way back from Benzonia and South Manitou Island as I write. The K-50 will be perfect for your needs. Incredible barns, architecture, and landscapes are so prevalent up your way.PF is great resource with many helpful folks. Welcome.
I hope you had a great trip! It was the perfect weekend to go out to S. Manitou. It's so nice to live in this area since it's just a short drive to so many great locations. Thanks for the welcome!

---------- Post added 07-06-15 at 01:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by johngs Quote
Come on down. I'll show you around!
What lenses did you get with the camera?
I'll start saving! Ha ha. Thanks! I got the 18-55 WR that came with the camera, a Pentax F 35-70, a Takumar F 70-210. I have had a CPC Phase 2 28mm 2.8, Ricoh 55mm 1.4 and a Pentax A 50mm 2 that I've used with Micro 4/3 cameras. I really like the direct mount to the k50 vs a big adapter. I just may show up in New Zealand some day!

---------- Post added 07-06-15 at 01:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
cool beets! welcome aboard...the K-50 should serve you well
Thanks! I'm really liking it.

---------- Post added 07-06-15 at 01:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
You'll want to get a spare battery or two, that's the only really vulnerable thing in the cold. Keep a spare in a warm pocket to swap once the cold one stops responding.
Sounds good. Thanks for the info!
07-07-2015, 07:44 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy all it has to offer, over and above what you've already discovered.
07-07-2015, 07:48 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum,
there are occasions where I take my expensive DA*60-250 off the camera in favour of the F-70-210. That lens has a lot going for it. It will be interesting to see the Ricoh 55 ƒ1.4 images. I hope it doesn't have a Ricoh pin, that could potentially lock the lens on your camera.
07-07-2015, 05:21 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, enjoy all it has to offer, over and above what you've already discovered.
Thank you!

---------- Post added 07-07-15 at 05:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Welcome to the forum,
there are occasions where I take my expensive DA*60-250 off the camera in favour of the F-70-210. That lens has a lot going for it. It will be interesting to see the Ricoh 55 ƒ1.4 images. I hope it doesn't have a Ricoh pin, that could potentially lock the lens on your camera.
Thanks! The F 70-210 definitely has character. I'm looking forward to trying it out with film too. Fortunately the Ricoh 55 1.4 doesn't have the pin that locks on the camera. I am getting antsy to get out and try it on the K50. It was my favorite lens on my Olympus E-P2.