Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2015, 04:18 AM   #1

Bokeh

Hi all, I am new to the Pentax digital scene, yet way back when I was a tot my camera case consisted of 3 Pentax KM 2's......those were the fun days when I used to go and shoot then rush back to my darkroom to develop the negatives and see what I had captured.
However I find myself in a bit of an argument with some other photographers and perhaps you could shed some light on this subject.
Bokeh in my opinion, is not strictly speaking a photographic style but more a lens effect popularised in 1997 in Photo Techniques magazine, when Mike Johnston published an article on using bokeh as a means to draw the observers attention to a subject. Computer graphics developers cottoned onto the idea to use the effect as a wallpaper so that desktop images are more visible. When used in the IT industry it it is very much a style, yet it appears that the international Photographic community does not accept Bokeh as a photographic style and as yet and it seems that it is regarded only as an aesthetic quality within a photograph. I would like to know if anyone can clarify this for me please.

07-09-2015, 04:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lots of styles are based on lens effects, Marreus.

What about long exposure blurred seascapes or lifestyle shots utilizing flare from backlighting?
07-09-2015, 05:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, welcome!
Doesn't bokeh come from Japanese, where it is used to refer to the quality of background blur? So by definition, bokeh is the Out of Focus blur, whether there is a subject in front of it or not. Now, yes, these days it has become a bit of a cliche, with many photographers just trying to achieve the maximum or best bokeh, with little regard to anything else. Its too bad. But its just another genre. It does evoke a certain mood, or isolate the subject, or make things look dreamy.. its a legitimate tool that the photographer can use if they want/need to

Now, the actual bokeh depends on the lens and settings. Specifically focal length, aperture size (f-stop), aperture shape (number of aperture blades and whether they are straight, round,..), focused distance, and distance of the objects (subject, background), as well as lens design itself. Pentax has some lenses that are great at bokeh, especially the portrait lenses like DA* 55mm f1.4 and FA 77mm ltd
07-09-2015, 05:11 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hey, welcome!
Doesn't bokeh come from Japanese, where it is used to refer to the quality of background blur?
I heard it was American, from adding 'h' to a Japanese word for 'blur'.

07-10-2015, 11:18 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you,

Guys thank you for your warm welcome messages.
the response to the BOKEH post was great thanks again.
07-12-2015, 04:56 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, for me bokeh is just for pleasing backgrounds like this one.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/12-post-your-photos/273808d14...00mm-bokeh.jpg