Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2015, 12:14 AM   #1

newby with problem

Hi all. My name is Jim and I have a problem with my K10D. I generally run my camera on auto due to me getting confused with manual settings. Nevertheless my problem is that very few of my shots have good definition. They seem fuzzy. Occasion I get a sharp photo. My lenses are Sigma and are 18-50 mm and 55-200mm The larger of the two lenses seems to give the better result. Any suggestions? I usually have the camera set on single point focus. Maybe I am shooting too quickly before the camera has set up. . Jim

07-16-2015, 02:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
make sure the focus point is where you want to focus it's usually a little red light in the view finder. Or try auto focus to see if the lens focus correctly, sometimes a lens suffer a front focus/back focus (focus on something in front of your subject, or behind your subject)
07-16-2015, 06:01 AM   #3

like redcat said... (don't know if you can fine adjust that on a K10D), or since you're on auto, make sure the shutter speed stays fast enough. Try setting to shutter priority or go manual to see if that improves things.
07-16-2015, 06:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How are you shooting? What are you shooting - distance etc. There could be a problem with the camera or your settings. If your shutter speed is low, you're going to have a difficult time even with the shake reduction.

Typically we'll ask for a couple examples with EXIF data so we can see the camera settings.

The cameras have so many options most of us stick with what we're comfortable with. That doesn't always work.

As Red Green says 'I'm pullin' for ya, we're all in this together.'

07-16-2015, 07:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I can't tell for sure with the K10D, but when used on auto mode, all my curent and past Pentax bodies had a tendency to work at full aperture. It's a setting at which most lens aren't at their best. With most budget lens, this will lead to a relatively soft picture, particularly if the zooms are used at their extreme focal lengths, where they're not already at their best... Try to switch to Av mode and set the aperture at f8 (or 2 stops below max aperture) and check if it's get better.

If your AF is on auto, you can't be sure that the camera focus where you want it to. Set the camera to use the center focus point and recompose. That way, you know where the focus is supposed to be.

And s other said, be sure to use a fast enough speed. Particularly if you shoot people. With an APS-C sensor, I use 3 times the focal length as a rule of thumb for a non static subject. For example, if your lens is set at about 30mm, I will use no less than 1/(30x 3) = 1/90 sec. The 1.5x we often see is good for static subject but not fast enough for people...
07-16-2015, 07:50 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jc2mad Quote
Hi all. My name is Jim and I have a problem with my K10D. I generally run my camera on auto due to me getting confused with manual settings. Nevertheless my problem is that very few of my shots have good definition. They seem fuzzy. Occasion I get a sharp photo. My lenses are Sigma and are 18-50 mm and 55-200mm The larger of the two lenses seems to give the better result. Any suggestions? I usually have the camera set on single point focus. Maybe I am shooting too quickly before the camera has set up. . Jim
Can you post some samples? It could also be caused by motion blur.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum

07-16-2015, 11:13 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks. I will see if I can post some here. The first three are great, then I get to number four. Pretty ordinary
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4  Photo 
07-17-2015, 12:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The last one was iPhone 4?, the others on the macro setting on the 18-50 sigma? they might need a tripod with reasonably slow shutter speeds, maybe check out how to choose focus points. The others will help too I'm sure.

Last edited by beachgardener; 07-17-2015 at 01:00 AM. Reason: add words
07-17-2015, 01:08 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
The last one was iPhone 4?, the others on the macro setting on the 18-50 sigma? they might need a tripod with reasonably slow shutter speeds, maybe check out how to choose focus points. The others will help too I'm sure.
Sorry, I have photos from 3 different sources mixed in my photo folder. I will try again. Jim
07-17-2015, 01:34 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That Grevillea photo is quite nice
07-17-2015, 07:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Only looking at the first three, the third one looks sharper and have better details. Looking at the Exif, this one was taken with the aperture close down at f8 while the others are at f.45, which is full aperture for this lens. So, as said above, close down the aperture a bit and you will get much better sharpness with this lens. You will have to do some tests to know which apertures are optimal (probably f8-f11), which ones aren't best but still usable (maybe between 5.6 and f8, and f11-f16), and which ones should not be used unless absolutely necessary (above f5.6, below f16)...

Once you know the specific optimal rannges of your lenses, it's much more easier to try working within these limits, and you will noticeably improve the IQ of your pictures. Auto mode will not do that for you and will just give you settings for the right exposure, not for the best IQ.
07-19-2015, 01:12 AM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, you may also want to make sure that your giving the anti camera shake system a chance to kick in too.
07-19-2015, 11:56 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks all for your help. There is a bit there to play with so I will try your tips. Jim