Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2015, 12:10 PM   #1

Hi from dry California!

I found this forum and joined right away. I'm an old timer, grew up on film and used medium format for 20 years. I have done a few weddings and portraits over the years, and though I've got a few monolites, it's really just a hobby. I dumped all my MF stuff 2 years ago, started a guitar business and only shoot my own products now. I moved into dslr photog w/ a k10 about 10 years ago and I just upgraded to a k3, bought online last night, don't have it yet. ( I was sure I was going mirrorless this time, but i just couldn't get around the awesome features/quality/value of Pentax). But I'm looking for lenses. I just have my old k10 kit zoom, i can work with that, but I would like 3 or 4 really great primes, say, 25 or 28 mm, 50mm, and maybe one long, and a fisheye would be fun. But I am open to vintage lenses like old forgotten sleeper glass, pentax, maybe Zeiss. Only thinking about m42 or k mount as they seem the only easily usable mounts. So anybody have tips on converting m42 or other mounts? know of some great primes in any brand? New/old? I'm thinking Zeiss 25mm to start but never had one. How easy is it to go manual foc. and metering w/ k3? Should i get a split image focusing screen? I would really like an awesome wide angle (tougher to do with crop sensor) but I'm excited and committed now!

07-16-2015, 05:22 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome!

Always nice to be excited with new gear.
07-16-2015, 06:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

welcome aboard!
I have a few old sears primes an really enjoy them on the cheap
28/2.8, 50/1.7, 135/2.8......use the 28 n 135 for night sky and the 50 n 135 with close up filters [mostly]
if I could afford it I would get a split focus screen they are neat
i'm sure ya could get much better stuff and the wave of suggestions will come!
07-16-2015, 11:41 PM   #4

Original Poster
Sears lenses.. I saw those

I found out recently that the old Sears lenses were k mount and not bad at all. Thanks. I don't want to bust the bank.. Easy to get carried away with that!

07-19-2015, 01:05 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, many good primes out there especially if your ok with manual focus.

Have a look at the lens database right here on the forum to get you started, just follow the links below.

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database and Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database