Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2015, 06:12 PM   #1

Seeing I've been around for a while

I figured I'd be more introductory. Part way into the story, and only NOW does the lead character actually introduce himself. Or is he supporting cast? That guy, anyways.

I'm a youngster in the GVRD of BC, and a bit of a local camera collector and Buy and Sell Guru. Chances are, if you live in Vancouver, you've seen the odd $20 Super Tak posted by me. I go through them like Candy as I buy up lots for one specific lens.

Pentax was the second brand that I got into photography with, the first being Praktica; an Old MTL 50 was the first Camera, followed quickly by a Pentax Spotmatic 1000 and a slew of Takumar Lenses. These saw many many tours of duty, before A lack of funds shut me down for two years. I suddenly found myself buying and selling gear at crazy rates (Keeping some gems for myself) with no spare money for film development, not with taking any large amount of images.

This year It all came back with a new job and the purchase of a Orange and Brown K-50. in a few months I've taken literally thousands of Photos. Still working on composition, but enjoying every moment of it.

Currently, my lens collection is... Un-manageable, Lots of Russian Gear (TAIR, Industar, Helios) and Soviet German (Meyer, Jena) lenses Mixed in a few Adaptall-2 lenses and a mass bulk of Pentax. I can count K mount lenses on one hand, but... The few I have are good.

The newest acquisition is a (Basically new) White Q. Already, this has become a great secondary camera, a few Pentax made fast CCTV lenses pulling serious weight (6mm f1.2 looks amazing in black and white)

So far, major areas I want to improve are Composition and Post Production. I've found Silkypix to be... lacking, to say the least, and I don't know exactly what I should be doing to my images to help improve them. Other then that, I find myself sticking more and more with fast normal to medium telephoto for normal shooting, with extensive use of super long telephoto lenses for birding and insect hunting. For the life of me, I can't find a single wide angle lens I like the rendering on, and always seem to find them lifeless and looking considerably less sharp then I expect (The 6mm is the only exception so far)

That's about it. Currently, my Surviving Cameras are a boxed Spotmatic, the Spotmatic 1000, Praktica MTL50, LTL and Super TL, a FED 4, three broken Zenit-E's, the Q and the K-50. Generally, the lenses you'll see most often on a camera are; Pentax-M 50mm 1.7, Super Takumar 85mm 1.9, Tamron 52B 90mm 2.8 Macro, Cosinon 55mm 1.4, TAIR-3 300mm 4.5 and a broken Soligor C/D 80-200mm 3.5 that works like the Adustable Petzval 58mm from Lomo/Zenit. The Q Generally has an Auto Takumar 135mm 3.5 or the 6mm 1.2 or 8mm 1.4 Cosmicar CCTV lenses (And is usually set to back and white.)

In any case, Hello, I am here, and I will probably be a wordy fellow on occasion.

07-24-2015, 06:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome? Er, you may have been here longer than I so can I welcome you?
I too began with Praktica, a SuperTL around 1972 or so. On to Pentax when I saw how cool bayonet mounts were Glad you are enjoying shooting as much as collecting!
07-25-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mothballs Quote
and I will probably be a wordy fellow on occasion
Welcome to the forum, if this intro is anything to go by, we'll just sit back and read closely what you have to say.
07-30-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing some of your images.