Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-24-2015, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #1

Hello and Many Thanks

I have always loved photography, and always wanted a really nice SRL, and finally built up the courage to take the plunge with a beautifully refurbished black-and-white Pentax K-50 body. My research said it was an awesome camera (as long as I don't intend to do video!), and very well built. It arrived yesterday, and I know I made the right decision - although so much to learn! But I will master this. (And now I can delete most of the "photography" apps on my phone and clear up some space. )

This forum has actually played a large role in my pursuing this. Since I am keeping a fairly tight budget at the moment (I am renovating the house), and good camera lenses are pricey and frequently specialized, I decided the best course of action for me would be to pick up a good camera body, collect an assortment of fairly inexpensive lenses, and figure out what I like doing most with my camera - and then pick up the good weather resistant lenses that will let me do more of that. This has meant that I've been learning some of the more advanced camera features already, like how to enable the aperture ring (and eventually, how to properly use the aperture ring), but it's been exciting. The information on this forum and site has been very useful in that regard. There's a ton of knowledge here, and it's been really great for my confidence in pursuing this.

Currently I own these three lenses:
Pentax SMCP-FA 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens (Silver)
AUTO CHINON K mount 50mm F1.9 Prime Lens for PENTAX PK
Pentax SMC - M f1:2 50mm Prime Lens

And these two are on their way in the mail:
JC Penney 135 mm 2.8 Lens Pentax K Mount
Pentax DA L 50-200mm f/4-5.6 WR <-- My one "expensive" purchase, but still at a discount!

I know I'm making it a bit harder on myself going this route, but it lets me explore the hobby while still putting most of my funds into the house, and it will make me learn faster (which is never a bad thing), so I'm happy. And I am so glad I stopped waiting and just bought it.

07-25-2015, 11:29 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, now just get out there making some stunning images with all this great kit.
07-25-2015, 05:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like you made some solid and wise decisions so far. Best to put you toes in the water like you said as regards to the type of lenses you would like to acquire

Have fun with it!

Randy
07-26-2015, 10:10 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you.
Mostly I have been taking pictures of the garden and the cats, just playing around with different settings to see what changes. I was playing with the white balance last night to get a good picture of Cream (the mostly white calico). Peaches (the orange tabby) sits on command and loves the attention, so she is an easy subject.