Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2015, 05:32 AM   #1

Kalasinman

Hi, I'm Jack. I live in N.E. Thailand. I've been a hobby photog for50 od years, obviously film mostly. Got a Nikon D5100 almost 2 years back and I love it. I've been doing astro photography about a year now. Warning the hobby will empty your wallet. If it doesn't, you aren't really into it ;-) . I just decided to do some wide field with my DSLR adapted to a Pentax SMC 67 IF 200mm. It won't quite reach focus at infinity, even hard on the stop. Love to find an adjustment for this, as those pesky stars are far.

07-29-2015, 05:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the clubhouse!

You might have fun with a K5IIs and GPS unit for astrophotography - wide field in particular.

Is the register distance different on the Nikon to SMC 67 lens? I don't know if a spacer works or if it's the other way. You might want to start a thread in the Lens section here.
07-29-2015, 10:48 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, remember to post some of those star images when you get a chance.
07-30-2015, 12:51 AM   #4

Original Poster
It's complicated.

I like the KIIs, same sensor as my D5100. I just modified the sensor, removed the anti aliasing, and the color filter. Added a Baader astro conversion filter as the stock color filters eliminate light from the Hydrogen Alpha part of the spectrum which is needed for emission nebulae.
I started last May with astro -stage 1, DSLR on tripod. Milky way shot was one of the first.
Stage 2 added EQmount and GSO scope with auto guiding. Markarian's Chain image was from March, end of Stage 2. Then the skies closed out until maybe October.
Stage 3 in works now adding: plate solving, coma corrector, motor focuser, and the Pentax.
BTW any way I can help, I'm happy to.--Jack

Attached Images

07-30-2015, 05:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most impressive.
07-31-2015, 04:49 AM   #6

Original Poster
Trying to count the galaxies in the Markarian's Chain image I gave up at 20. Of course stage 3 will fix the problems I see in this.