Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2015, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New K-50 owner from Ukraine

It've been a week since I become an owner of beautiful K-50 with 18-135 WR lens. It's my first DSLR camera, previous was Fujifilm HS20EXR. I'm just excited!

And here are my first steps with a new camera: first pictures I made near my home in Kiev and third or even fourth try to process them correctly in RawTherapee

Name:  IMGP0025-low_res.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  107.2 KB

Name:  IMGP0054_lowres.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  82.3 KB

07-29-2015, 07:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard! You seem to be off to a very good start - looking forward to seeing more pictures
07-29-2015, 07:27 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard!
07-29-2015, 10:49 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome here, good to hear that your enjoy that new K50 combo.

07-29-2015, 03:35 PM   #5
Forum Member

Same Here In Maine, USA

Have been shooting a K-100D for a couple of years now and just moved up to a K-50 to get the weather resistance so I can shoot outdoors when the weather is less than perfect, as it usually is here, and to get AV capability.

Have only taken about a dozen pictures with is so far with both the SMC PENTAX DA 1:4-5.6 50-200mm ED WR and the DA 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mm AL lenses.

The 50-200 is proving a little too long for general utility, but it might work well for sports and wildlife shots.

The 18-55 is what I've been using on my 100D with good results, and despite forgetting that I'd swapped it for the WR lens yesterday before taking some pictures during a hail storm where it got pretty wet everything seems to be fine - no evidence of moisture inside when I pulled it off.

I'm afraid my initial impressions are a bit disappointing, as I can't seem to get a clear focus or a well defined image, although results with the 18-55 are quite a bit better. I get better shots with the little pocket PENTAX W-80, and most people could get better pictures with their cell phones.

I'm beginning to think that the WR lens might not be all its cracked up to be, but I'm not ready to give up on the K-50 yet; There is something in the manual about "Fine Tuning" the focus, and I will have to look it up and try that. In most of my shots the focus seems to end up being behind where the viewfinder tells it it was; even the K100D was that way, but not quite so much.
Thought it might be the little focusing whackydoodle on the viewfinder, but adjusting that does not seem to help any.

Fine tuning the focus on this thing might require that I start out with a 17mm wrench and work down from there.
07-29-2015, 08:49 PM   #6
Forum Member

Cherries - K-50

These are some wild cherries growing on the edge of our property.

Took this with the K-50 wearing the DA 18-55mm Zoom about as close in as it gets.

It seems to produce a better image than I can get with the 50-200WR, but the focus could use a wee bit more tweaking I think.

This is a "Thimble Berry" - we don't see many of these around here any more but they are delicious.
The blossoms look like pink wild roses.

I set the focus on the berry, but it ended up on my hand behind the subject - typical with all of my Pentax DSLRs so far. Sometimes on a macro shot I focus to what looks right and lean back a couple of CM before tripping the shutter.
there has gotta be a better way!

---------- Post added 07-29-15 at 23:53 ----------

On the cherries I did my "focus and lean back" thing, but since I was shooting pretty much straight down on the berry and had no stirrups upon which to rise (too old and gimpish for tiptoes) it back focused.
07-29-2015, 11:43 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you, friends!
Sure, I'll show pictures worth sharing)

Uncle Jaque, I bet your problem is called "back-focusing" and it can be fixed in K-50 by autofocus adjustment. See this instruction.