Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2015, 05:58 PM   #1

Seal on WR lenses

Hi everyone,

I wonder if the red seal located on the mount of WR lense get damaged or loose some of its sealing properties if the lense stay mounted on the body of my camera for a long period of time (let say a week or 2).

Regards,

07-30-2015, 06:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why would you wonder that? Similar rings in pumps, valves and so on last decades without ever being removed. You are more likely (not that it is likely) to harm the seal by taking the lens off / on than by leaving it on.

Curious what your reasoning on this is though.
07-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Johnyboy Quote
Hi everyone,

I wonder if the red seal located on the mount of WR lense get damaged or loose some of its sealing properties if the lense stay mounted on the body of my camera for a long period of time (let say a week or 2).

Regards,
It definitely won't come to any harm by being left on. The main danger is if you mount the lens with dust/dirt on the seal, because that could cause leaks. So be sure that the seal is clean every time you mount your lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-31-2015, 05:25 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

The red synthetic rubber is extremely durable. Cleaning your seals is good advice - I'm overdue, I should do this the next time I have doors open.

08-02-2015, 05:55 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I wouldn't loose to much sleep on this one if I were you, enjoy your photography.