Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2015, 11:55 AM   #1

Hello, from Pennsylvania!

Hi guys!

I'm excited to finally start participating here. It seems a really friendly place! I just needed a post so I could send a private message, haha.

I hope your days all bode as great as y'all are!

Cheers,

AE

08-01-2015, 12:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome, and hope you enjoy the 55-300. I see that you have a K-50 (from your profile), That was my first DSLR, too. Great camera -- especially for the money
08-01-2015, 03:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello and welcome to the Forums
08-02-2015, 06:55 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AorticEinstein Quote
I just needed a post so I could send a private message, haha.
Welcome, aye it gets them every time.

08-03-2015, 06:46 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
Welcome, and hope you enjoy the 55-300. I see that you have a K-50 (from your profile), That was my first DSLR, too. Great camera -- especially for the money
Hey, thanks! I'm a relative newbie looking to get into photography a little more. I think I've come to know the K-50 pretty well since January, and I really like the images the DA 35mm f/2.4 produces. A question for you, if you don't mind--how does the sharpness of the 55-300 compare to the 18-55 kit lens? I'm not ridiculously happy whenever I shoot with it. I understand that it's to be expected with an introductory kit zoom, but I've managed to get very few good images out of it. I just wonder how the 55-300 stacks up against it.
08-03-2015, 08:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AorticEinstein Quote
Hey, thanks! I'm a relative newbie looking to get into photography a little more. I think I've come to know the K-50 pretty well since January, and I really like the images the DA 35mm f/2.4 produces. A question for you, if you don't mind--how does the sharpness of the 55-300 compare to the 18-55 kit lens? I'm not ridiculously happy whenever I shoot with it. I understand that it's to be expected with an introductory kit zoom, but I've managed to get very few good images out of it. I just wonder how the 55-300 stacks up against it.
I think you'll find that the 55-300 is definitely better, especially in the 70-250ish range. My first setup was the K-50, 35mm f/2.4, and the two kit lenses (18-55 + 50-200). My copy of the 18-55 DA L happened to be a nice one, as I was able to pull nice shots from it pretty consistently, once I dialed in my expectation regarding the class of lens it was. I sold my 50-200 soon after I bought it because most everything out of it was soft. Later on, as I got better, I started to think that it might have been more of a technique thing, so I ended up picking up another copy a few months ago. Even with the easier handling, the 50-200 would surprise me in the worst of ways. I'd think everything was dialed in, and the shot would still turn out soft sometimes, even at f/8. I sold that off, and thought I'd take the 55-300 for a spin. Everybody around here says that all three variants are the same optical formula, so I figured for $150, it was worth a go. Long story short, I took it out to Cannon Beach a few weekends ago, and I was really impressed. Like any slower lens, it's going to do better in good light, and the bright over cast weather we had down there was great for it. Realize too that the 55-300 is at its best when stopped down to f/8 or lower. I was generally happy with some of the f/5.6 stuff, but I pretty much left it at f/8-f/10, and got some nice distant landscape stuff. Above all else, that copy of the 55-300 was very consistent for me. I knew what I was going to get under given circumstances. I'll also say that I owned a Tamron 70-300, and that copy was extremely soft at the long end, even at f/8 on a tripod.

I don't usually shoot longer than 100mm (and that's for macro -- lol) so I figured I would hold onto the 55-300 for the few times I needed something longer. Then I borrowed my best friend's Tamron 70-200 -- and that changed everything for me -- lol. I picked up a nice copy from our Marketplace, and am really enjoying it. Now we're talking $150 vs $600, so it better be superior. It's also a lot heavier and longer, so some trade off there. I have a small 55-300 folder on my Flckr account (link below). That's some of what I was able to do with the 55-300. Excellent bokeh at the 300 range on a couple of those flowers, and stopped down to f/8, I got some really nice shots of the surrounding rocks at Haystack. I have to admit that if I wasn't such a gearhound, I think I would have been pretty darn happy with that copy of the 55-330, and could have saved myself a lot of money on that 70-200. But what's done is done, and now you get to enjoy it. So everybody wins

55-300 DA L
08-04-2015, 05:11 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from Chicago.

The 55-300 is not bad, definitely good for its price. I think you have to spend significantly more money to get better.