Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2015, 11:24 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 13
To help a flasher

Hello everyone in the forum, I'm hoping there is someone among you who could help with my predicament. I have just bought a 20-40mm Pentax lens and an AF540GZ ll flash unit for some family portrait shots but when I tried experimenting with it I cannot get It to work, I thought I had the right settings but it still won't work, can anybody suggest what I might be doing wrong. I thought I read somewhere that I would need the latest firmware update for the K3 but I am unable to get that done either as once I have downloaded the update and I try to do the job on the camera, I turn it on while holding the menu button but it does not go to the required field. Feeling a bit frustrated because of the money outlayed.


Last edited by photolady95; 08-02-2015 at 11:45 AM.
08-02-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nelson B.C.
Posts: 3,226
Please describe what is happening.

What I would do is put the camera mode to X, set the f to f8, just turn the flash unit on, and try a shot. It should adjust from there. Hit the iso button and set it to 100 or 200. If it comes out dark, try iso 400.

Make sure that the flash unit is set right on the mount, move the fix lever at the bottom to the left, push it forward on the body, then push the lever to the right. When you turn the flash unit on you should hear it adjust the zoom to match the lens. If not, it isn't communicating with the body for some reason.
08-02-2015, 11:40 AM   #3
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 13
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Please describe what is happening.

What I would do is put the camera mode to X, set the f to f8, just turn the flash unit on, and try a shot. It should adjust from there. Hit the iso button and set it to 100 or 200. If it comes out dark, try iso 400.

Make sure that the flash unit is set right on the mount, move the fix lever at the bottom to the left, push it forward on the body, then push the lever to the right. When you turn the flash unit on you should hear it adjust the zoom to match the lens. If not, it isn't communicating with the body for some reason.
I believe I have it mounted on the camera correctly , the settings I have are varied, I tried on P, X and bulb my ISO is set at on auto but I did change that to 100-200 but nothing seems to sync.
08-02-2015, 11:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Aaron28's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Huntsville, Al
Posts: 1,070
this may help with firmware....(full battery) do not know about the flash
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/114-maintenance-repair-articles/233237-k-...lure-help.html

08-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 31,352
I'll just say welcome and let the clever folk assist you with your issue.
08-02-2015, 12:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nelson B.C.
Posts: 3,226
QuoteOriginally posted by peejay193 Quote
I believe I have it mounted on the camera correctly , the settings I have are varied, I tried on P, X and bulb my ISO is set at on auto but I did change that to 100-200 but nothing seems to sync.
is it not flashing at all? Does the flash show pttl? If your shutter speed is set higher than 1/180 it won't flash.

so start from scratch. body off, flash off. mount the flash, turn body on. set body to X mode. set aperture to f8. hit the ISO button near the shutter button, set the ISO to 200, hit the ISO button again. turn the flash on. it should show pttl and the zoom mechanism should make some noise.

now focus on something and take a shot. what happens? where in this process do things start not working?
08-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,429
You still don't say what is not working? Does the flash not fire? Or does it fire and you get the wrong exposure?

Start at the beginning and make sure everything works individually.
1) Without the flash mounted, turn on the camera put it in 'X' mode and hit the pop up flash button. The pop up should, well, pop up. Now take a shot. The pop up flash should fire. If so then you know the camera is set properly and sending a 'fire' signal.
2) Put the pop up flash away
3) With the flash not on the camera hit the 'test' or 'fire' button on the flash. Does it fire? If so you know the flash is charged and functioning properly.
4) Now mount the flash, turn on the flash and camera. Camera in "x-mode". Take a shot. Does the flash fire?
08-02-2015, 01:14 PM   #8
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 13
Original Poster
To help a flasher.

Thank you to those with advice, I am currently preparing to go to work so when I get home tonight I will try those suggestions and will keep you posted . Regards Pat.

08-02-2015, 11:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter
beachgardener's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,989
G'day mate and welcome to the forum
08-03-2015, 02:05 AM   #10
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 13
Original Poster
To help a flasher

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
is it not flashing at all? Does the flash show pttl? If your shutter speed is set higher than 1/180 it won't flash.

so start from scratch. body off, flash off. mount the flash, turn body on. set body to X mode. set aperture to f8. hit the ISO button near the shutter button, set the ISO to 200, hit the ISO button again. turn the flash on. it should show pttl and the zoom mechanism should make some noise.

now focus on something and take a shot. what happens? where in this process do things start not working?
Ok so I have tried the actions suggested and my on camera flash worked on all occasions them I put the flash unit on selected the relevant settings and nothing happened other than a black screen so it appears I have a faulty flash unit. So thanks to every one for your help.

---------- Post added 08-03-15 at 07:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You still don't say what is not working? Does the flash not fire? Or does it fire and you get the wrong exposure?

Start at the beginning and make sure everything works individually.
1) Without the flash mounted, turn on the camera put it in 'X' mode and hit the pop up flash button. The pop up should, well, pop up. Now take a shot. The pop up flash should fire. If so then you know the camera is set properly and sending a 'fire' signal.
2) Put the pop up flash away
3) With the flash not on the camera hit the 'test' or 'fire' button on the flash. Does it fire? If so you know the flash is charged and functioning properly.
4) Now mount the flash, turn on the flash and camera. Camera in "x-mode". Take a shot. Does the flash fire?
Thanks for your advice, I did everything you suggested with the unit firing when tested it does not do anything once it is put on the camera and turned on other than going off with the test button, I am able to do all the settings but when I take a photo no flash so its back to where it came from.
08-03-2015, 03:15 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 8,066
If you or a friend have another camera (of any brand) with a standard hotshoe, try it in M mode to see if it's your flash or body.
08-03-2015, 08:59 AM   #12
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,429
QuoteOriginally posted by peejay193 Quote
Thanks for your advice, I did everything you suggested with the unit firing when tested it does not do anything once it is put on the camera and turned on other than going off with the test button, I am able to do all the settings but when I take a photo no flash so its back to where it came from.
OK. You say it fires correctly OFF the camera but does not fire at all when it is ON the camera? Try this: make sure the lock knob is completely retracted. On many Pentax flashes if it is even slightly screwed in the flash will look like it mounts correctly but it does not slide all the way home on the hot shoe. It is just a slight distance and easy to miss but enough that the pins do not make contact.
QuoteOriginally posted by peejay193 Quote
I put the flash unit on selected the relevant settings and nothing happened
You say the on board flash fires correctly and then you say after you mount the hot shoe flash you select the relevant settings. What settings are changing? Try it without changing anything except retract the on board flash.
08-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #13
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 13
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
OK. You say it fires correctly OFF the camera but does not fire at all when it is ON the camera? Try this: make sure the lock knob is completely retracted. On many Pentax flashes if it is even slightly screwed in the flash will look like it mounts correctly but it does not slide all the way home on the hot shoe. It is just a slight distance and easy to miss but enough that the pins do not make contact.
You say the on board flash fires correctly and then you say after you mount the hot shoe flash you select the relevant settings. What settings are changing? Try it without changing anything except retract the on board flash.
So I have tried all the suggestions without success then I got out my K20D and tried it on this 1 still with no luck but a Sigma530 flash unit works fine on the K20 and also with the right settings on the K-3 occasionally. My conclusion is a dud flash unit about to be returned.
08-03-2015, 02:11 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 8,066
QuoteOriginally posted by peejay193 Quote
. My conclusion is a dud flash unit about to be returned.
Yep. Thanks for playing! :-)
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, button, camera, fire, flash, iso, pop, pttl, shot, unit, update
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help to find a lens theborg Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 03-15-2015 08:25 AM
Help needed to disassemble a Soligor 250 f4.5 mgvh Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 03-05-2014 07:26 AM
Help, help, help! I need a case, box, trunk... dansamy Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 13 02-18-2014 06:17 PM
Please, help me to avoid buying a 645D eurostar Pentax Medium Format 33 02-16-2014 04:32 PM
New to Pentax (and film cameras!) - help with picking out a flash to purchase? crankybird Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 3 01-24-2009 07:42 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:37 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top